Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Running journal, Wednesday, 2006-03-08

Running journal, Wednesday, 2006-03-08
Resting heart rate: n/a
Day: Wednesday
Date: 2006-03-08
Weather: Mostly sunny, 3 m/s wind
Temp: 17.78 C (64 F)
Time: 12:15-1:00
Terrain: flat
Comments: Positive running experience today, much better than the previous two running days. As I crossed the pedestrian bridge on the way out, I overheard a wheelchair-bound woman singing along to her guitar-playing male partner in the shade of the pedestrian bridge. The woman sang, "She's my baby, and that's all right. She's my baby, she's clear outta sight," cackled, and repeated the verse. :) She sang with no sense of embarrassment, shame, or inhibition. The singing was off-key, but I enjoyed her attitude. Went out really slow. Noticed another nest of bees at the base of a tree near the 21-mile marker. Ran on the pavement and easily avoided approaching bikers. The asphalt pounding may have caused a muscle in my right upper-leg to feel sore afterward. Focused on keeping my arms loose and fluid, and my posture tall. On the return, a man walking an Airedale smiled and said, "Good day to you." Fun. :) Running slow did not cause me to lose much distance, maybe 100 meters, and I ended the run feeling a bit tired but happy, comfortable, and ready to continue my day. :) Noticed the new graffiti has vanished from the pedestrian bridge. Perhaps it was erased by the heavy rain, or more likely an employee of the Sacramento County Parks and Recreation was able to remove it. When I returned from my run, the man had slung his guitar case over his shoulder and was pushing the woman in the wheelchair up the embankment to cross the bridge. As I approached them, I heard the woman laugh and exuberantly belted out, "Stop, you have to stop at the stop sign." :) There is a stop sign where the clover-leaf bit of the embankment trail meets the perpendicular north-south trail that I was on. The man pushed her wheelchair through without stopping, and her cackle was infectious. I smiled and shared the moment with them. They paused about halfway across the bridge and I passed them, as she noticed some people feeding the ducks from the broken cement boat-landing below. She shouted something like, "Get off your butt old man." When I looked I did not see an old man, so I am not sure who she was talking to. I realized today how important positive experiences are for self-reinforcing exercise. When I have a positive exercise day, I cannot wait to get out and exercise again. I enjoy the community, the communion with nature, and the natural high from running.
Time: 47 minutes
Goal Time: n/a
Distance: 5.65 km (3.5 mi) http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=55372
Total Distance For Year: 219.0 km (133.8 mi)
Weight (after run): 79.6 kg (175.2 lbs), 21% body fat
Any irregular feelings, aches, pains, heart rate, and so forth?: Right upper leg muscle sore afterward.
Foods eaten today: WestSoy Plain soy milk, Zatarain's Red Beans and Rice, Stove Top San Francisco Sourdough Stuffing, olives, Trader Joe's Maple Pecan Cluster cereal


No comments:

Blog Archive