Saturday, March 18, 2006

Laser Printer Paper


My HP LaserJet 4500DN routinely curls-up the 20-lb. Multi-Purpose Paper I have been feeding it. The paper ends-up not guiding into the fuser properly, bringing the printer to a loud, electronically-buzzing, full-on 13.01.00-error halt. This might happen four times during a nine-page job, especially when using the duplexer. I bought a ten-ream box of the 20-lb. Georgia-Pacific paper in the late 1990's, and I still have four reams left in my printer stand. :P

Tonight I tried feeding my printer 28-lb. Paper, and no problems for four continuous duplexed black-and-white pages. :) I am feeling cautiously optimistic. Not having to regularly open the transfer-belt drawer, remove the transfer-belt, grab a curled piece of paper from the guts of my printer, and wait 90 seconds while the printer re-warms-up would be a welcome relief, even if a ream of 28-lb. paper costs $10.

Check out the price difference for one ream of 28-lb. paper (HPL285R) between HP's web site ($71.91) and Amazon.com/Office Depot ($9.99) via the links above. Only explanations I can come up with is that HP doesn't want to sell 28-lb. paper, or they only want to sell paper when they can get a seven-fold markup.

1 comment:

iokevins said...

I bought it out of a Kinko's sale bin. :) So that's all I have available. And for $10/ream, it sounds reasonable.

Blog Archive