Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Season Two


Finished season two last night. Watched disc two first since it arrived for pick-up before the others. Sleep deprivation on Monday evening did not help improve my first impression of season two. I felt this sinking feeling in my stomach after watching "Reptile Boy" that my expectation of season two being as good as season one was not going to be met.

Happily, the rest of the season made up for that initial shock. Darker, much darker, bottom-of-the-ocean darker than season one. Low-budget camp replaced with moderate-budget noir. Sort of like dark chocolate. More bitter than what I expected, but I still enjoyed the taste.

Caught one amusing gaff -- in "School Hard," as Spike raids Sunnydale High, we see his reflection in a mirror to the right as he walks down the hallway (approximately 29:30).

My question leading into season three is -- What's the deal with the principal mentioning the mayor every time the cops show up?

Watched all of season two using my laptop and 19" monitor due to scratched discs. I noticed the later discs had fewer scratches. Cautiously optimistic that I can watch season three downstairs on the big screen television. Not sure if later seasons on DVD will have a greater or fewer number of scratches. ;)

No comments:

Blog Archive