Thursday, March 16, 2006

Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Season One


Watched Season One yesterday, an effective antidote to boredom during minor foot surgery recovery. Have already requested season two DVDs from the Sacramento Public Library. Funny, emotional at times, low-budget camp. The dialogue and confidence of Buffy and friends is addicting. I considered driving down to the Franklin Library branch this afternoon to pick up the second season but decided not to considering the US50/Hwy-99 rush-hour traffic. :P Instead the DVDs will make it to my house early next week some time. Probably best to not overwhelm myself with too much Buffy anyway, so I don't burn-out. ;)

I enjoyed watching these DVDs downstairs on our large screen, but my housemates' DVD player doesn't play the scratched-up DVDs so well; it pauses, or worse, displays the "Please check the disc for scratches or smudges" error, which means cycling the power or opening/closing the tray, which results in waiting through the FBI-warning screens for 30 seconds. x_x I almost gave up in frustration before remembering that I can play them on my laptop DVD player. Popped them in as a test and they played perfectly, so I watched the episodes uninterrupted on my 19" monitor. Such are the trials and tribulations of public library DVD borrowing.

If only I had realized such when I had the Veronica Mars Season One DVD marathon (discs two-six anyway). I missed season one episode "The Girl Next Door" and bits of episode "Like a Virgin" due to scratches on the discs. :P Still on the waiting list for Veronica Mars disc one. I was at position 7 out of 20 last I checked.

This series came out in 1997, a year I spent four months in Riga, Latvia studying abroad. Time flies. As Buffy says: "Life is short. Seize the day."

One thing I did notice about the Buffy series -- the clothing and hairstyles. The main characters in the show always have hip style sense. :) I do not remember my public school being so well-coordinated, but northern Wisconsin is quite different than southern California. ;)

No comments:

Blog Archive