Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Running journal, Wednesday, 2006-03-01

Running journal, Wednesday, 2006-03-01
Resting heart rate: 57 bpm (60 second test)
Day: Wednesday
Date: 2006-03-01
Weather: Mostly sunny, 2 m/s wind
Temp: 18.89 C (66 F)
Time: 13:15-14:00
Terrain: mostly flat with mild hills
Comments: Beautiful running day. Saw butterflies and heard crickets for the first time this year. A vulture flew very close over my head. Many people biking today, but only a handful of other joggers. I am not feeling the same sense of community on the Pioneer Express trail that I felt along the Jedediah Smith trail, probably due to the reduced number of joggers. I noticed the large quantity of wood chips again today, and wondered if, after the fire destroyed the trees, the park service mulched the branches which fell across the trail. It would make sense if they brought a wood chipper on the trail and then blew the wood chips onto the side of the trail. The only bit that doesn't fit is that I see lots of wood chips farther back off the trail too. They are only near the trees damaged by fire. Hmm. It seems to remain a partial mystery. Picked up a few pieces of trash on the return trip. On the way across the Hazel Bridge I passed a cute woman who smiled at me after I said hello. :) That made my day and I enjoyed the feeling of connecting with one other person who seemed to be enjoying their exercise. :) Walked inside the fish hatchery tank area for the second time, and saw a sign that states the hatchery raises Chinook salmon and Steelhead in the tanks. So that solves that mystery. None of the tanks A-F had fish, although some had water bubbling up. I saw the access point where the employees use a heavy metal bar to open and close the water pipe for each tank. It seems that the primary job of fish hatchery employees is hydraulic tank-spraying. ;) They seem to do this every time I visit, which is a good thing, for the fish. As I walked out of the hatchery area, I saw a blond woman next to a SUV with lettering reading, "FitToRun.com" on the rear window. It turns out this was Julie Fingar, winner of several 100-mile Ultra-Marathons. :) The web site says she ran her first marathon in 1998. Oh, also, on the way to the Nimbus Fish Hatchery, on Gold Country Boulevard, I was passed by one black and one red Porsche. This confirms my suspicion that this is a chi-chi area. My thought the other day as I drove home was how people differentiate themselves with a name like "Maidu Village," when their house looks just like every other house in every other village on Gold Country Boulevard. This is my superficial impression as I pass their homes. I am sure they are spacious, functional, modern homes, with security, high-income neighbors, and they differ from one another in various ways I am ignorant of. I am just saying I would prefer to live in a home that has more uniqueness.
Time: 45 minutes
Goal Time: n/a
Distance: 6.9 km (4.3 mi) http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=44327
Total Distance For Year: 170.5 km (105.7 mi)
Weight (after run): 79 kg (174.20 lbs), 21% body fat
Any irregular feelings, aches, pains, heart rate, and so forth?: Right shoulder near the end felt irritated, perhaps I am holding it too tense. Running up the embankment to the overpass at the end, my left muscles behind the knee felt a bit sore, but the feeling stopped after I walked
Foods eaten today: apple-cinnamon cereal, soy milk, veggie chili, olives, roasted garlic and vegetable pizza

No comments:

Blog Archive