Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Running journal, Tuesday, 2006-05-02

Running journal, Tuesday, 2006-05-02
Resting heart rate: 55 bpm (60 second test)
Day: Tuesday
Date: 2006-05-02
Weather: Sunny, 2 m/s wind
Temp: 27.78 C (82 F)
Time: 09:24-10:11
Terrain: flat
Comments: Walking day today. I left feeling hungry, which decreased my enjoyment of the walk. As I parked, two women walking a tan dog passed me just as I exited my car. There was an awkward sort of walk for a ways where they sped up, then slowed down, so I was walking relatively close behind them, then they sped up again, so I could not walk faster than them. I reacted to the fact that I did not shave or shower before I left, so I felt some minor embarrassment at being so close to two cute women while in a fuzzy mental state, and some concern because I did not want to cause alarm by walking too close. We parted ways at the south end of the pedestrian bridge. I walked in the field to the east of the bridge, and watched a crow fly in successive dives toward another bird sitting on a tree-top near the residential property line. The other bird, which did not seem to be a crow, eventually flew to the north with the crow diving at it successively until it reached the parking lot. Then the crow returned to the property line, heard another crow, and flew south out of sight. The sun was bright and the air was hot. As I turned back to return, I realized mentally I felt about 75%. I enjoyed watching the trees as I walked. On the way out I snipped a mystery leaf to identify from a deciduous tree. It looks like a variety of oak. As I walked, I realized these mystery trees were common along the banks, including several prominent trees near the parking lot and the bike trail to the pedestrian bridge. Interestingly enough, identifying the trees by type seems to unlock a sense of communication with them, as if one might recognize the common characteristics. Identifying the trees also unlocks the idea of permanency and recognition. The next time I walk, I will recognize the trees I have identified like friends in the community. Tall, silent, friends with bark and tree sap. It sort of seems hoaky when one personifies non-humans. Still, I enjoy the permanence of the trees as I walk. I noticed a veil of vines coming down from two trees today that I have not noticed in the past, which struck me as quite beautiful. I recrossed the pedestrian bridge and grabbed my blanket, backpack, and Sacramento Steelheads seat and made my way to the place where I enjoy sitting and reading. I took off my shoes and socks, my shirt, and rolled up my pants legs and enjoyed the wind and sunshine. Two teenage boys came upon me and seemed disappointed that I was there, but the one proceeded to respectfully share with the other that he had had a party at that very spot with about 20 others, and they had been just chillin', drinking beers, and chillin', right next to the edge. I turned my head and laughed, his positive excitement was catchy as he told his friend how the party happened. They shortly went back down the trail. I took lots of pictures of where I sat this morning, especially the graffiti on the signs, most of it quite creative and humorous. The old fisher was back on the north side opposite me. I read for maybe 45 minutes before I realized my hunger prevented me from absorbing much. I packed up and left.
Time: 47 minutes
Goal Time: n/a
Distance: 4.17 km (2.59 mi) http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=160426
Total Distance For Year: 468.8 km (278.4 mi)
Weight (after run): n/a (forgot)
Any irregular feelings, aches, pains, heart rate, and so forth?: left ankle sore
Foods eaten today: toaster waffles and real maple syrup, banana, mac & cheese, pizza, chocolate, soy milk, organic lentil and vegetable soup with crackers

No comments:

Blog Archive