Saturday, May 13, 2006

Running journal, Saturday, 2006-05-13

Running journal, Saturday, 2006-05-13
Resting heart rate: n/a
Day: Saturday
Date: 2006-05-13
Weather: Sunny, 1 m/s wind
Temp: 32.2 C (90 F)
Time: 14:29-18:06
Terrain: flat, then hills
Comments: Realized late last night that I didn't want to race the 5K, so I slept in. Instead, I decided to run a 10-12 mile course between the Nimbus Dam along the Pioneer Express Trail. Today was a learning opportunity. First, I didn't hydrate. Second, I didn't check the temperature. Third, I didn't bring water or Powerbars on the run. Fourth, I over-extended myself. Fifth, I didn't check the terrain I planned to run. The temperature today was brutal. Mid-afternoon 32.2 C (90 F). Jeff Galloway recommends a bunch of helpful tips on combatting heat, including the helpful note that running in heat will move the wall closer. Well, I hit the wall at the halfway point. I walked back most of the seven miles. Running up a 7% grade hill (186 feet vertical in one mile) to the half-way point was a negative considering the heat. This is the first hill-climbing I have done. I enjoyed the terrain once the trail looped back to Lake Natoma. I doused my head with water. There are many water fountains along the trail during this section. From this point until the Folsom Lake recreation area, I don't think there are any. Saw more TTES chalk inscriptions: Arms! Arms! Arms! (before running up the embankment to the Hazel overpass); I am able, I will, I can. The Nimbus Dam had six gates open. The Folsom Dam had three gates open. Saw an informational sign along the trail sharing the types of oaks: Interior Live Oak, Blue Oak, and Valley Oak. As I ran along Lake Natoma at the beginning, I saw that they had a rowing competition at the CSUS Aquatic Center. The web site says it was the Collegiate Regatta Pacific Coast Rowing Championship. They had a score of large white tents dotting the south shore of the lake for shade. Members of the crowd were cheering on the finish of a heat, shouting "UCS." I bet I mis-heard the cheers for University of Central Florida though, who were in the heat I watched around 14:30. I noticed a large board propped up on the north side and wondered if it was used to line up the finish buoys. I reached the half-way point (mile 30 marker) at 16:06. Along the way I saw jackrabbits sitting in the shade (how smart), vultures and hawks lazily circling overhead, kayakers and canoers skimming through Lake Natoma, ducks, geese, and lots of people out enjoying the day. On the way back, as I was drinking from a fountain, a man began playing guitar for a group of teenagers that were chatting. I was so tired I didn't stick around and I didn't notice the tune. As I kept walking, I got stronger and stronger. The temperature dropped by about 5-6 C, the shade from the bluffs and trees was greater, and I was able to relax and enjoy the scenery. Lake Natoma near the Folsom Dam is beautiful. The history signs said that Negro Bar used to be a mining town there. The architecture of the bridges was beautiful. There is another beautiful pedestrian bridge there. There is a beach, and families were playing frisbee and volleyball. The air was arid, making breathing difficult. About two miles from the turn-around point, I noticed I wasn't sweating anymore, which bothered me. That's one of the reasons I stopped on the way back and took it easy, besides the physical fatigue. I watched a trio of young Russion girls skate down a hill on a skateboard and inline skates. The girl on the skateboard pumped her arms in the air, very happy to stay on the board. Fun. When I returned to the Nimbus Dam, I spotted a place where I could douse my legs in the icy-clear waters of the American River. The chill was painful at first, then pleasant. I sat like that for about five minutes, watching a man on the north shore pilot a radio-controlled plane, and a few birds go in and out of their mud homes on the underbelly of the overpass. I think I have mentioned this in the past, but the Pioneer Express Trail is lonelier than the Parkway Trail. Gone are the residential homes butting up against the parkway, and the small wayside parks. In their place are towering bluffs and a vast lake. I spotted a trail on the south side of the lake which I think I will explore next time. Overall, negative running experience, although I feel very alert and active this evening. Learning opportunity.
Time: 217 minutes (3:37)
Goal Time: n/a
Distance: 23.23 km (14.4 mi) http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=180744
Total Distance For Year: 562.6 km (336.7 mi)
Weight (after run): 78.0 kg (171.99 lbs), 17% body fat
Any irregular feelings, aches, pains, heart rate, and so forth?: left ankle sore, neck muscles sore
Foods eaten today: cereal, soy milk, ramen noodles, green beans, carrots, gookinaid

No comments:

Blog Archive