Monday, May 01, 2006

Running journal, Monday, 2006-05-01

Running journal, Monday, 2006-05-01
Resting heart rate: 53 bpm (60 second test)
Day: Monday
Date: 2006-05-01
Weather: Sunny, calm
Temp: 29.44 C (85 F)
Time: 09:35 - 10:22
Terrain: flat
Comments: Got out relatively early for today's recovery run. It felt hot, no wind to speak of. I failed to drink much water this morning before I went out, and I felt it on the return. There are Interior Live Oaks all along the path, something I have not noticed until identifying the tree yesterday. I also noticed a number of other trees I have not identified, including a pine tree and a few other deciduous trees. I picked a mystery flower which I will share a picture of in a separate post. People seemed quite friendly today as I ran. I can tell as the summer continues to heat up I will enjoy running in the shade of the trees. I noticed today that the trash cans near Bridge Street were full of empty beer cases and food wrappers. Wherever people go, trash follows. I wish the county had the funds to maintain the pedestrian bridge by sweeping up the debris. Noticed a park ranger talking with someone down by the defunct boat ramp on the way out. When I returned, I passed five ducks sitting in the sun with their beaks in their wing feathers, resting. They did not mind me walking by in their sun-induced drowsy state. On the way out, I passed a pigeon on the bridge railing that allowed me to walk by it without taking flight, something that has never happened before. The heat is making all the animals sluggish. I ran on the pavement today, realizing that the soreness in my left knee probably is because of the slant of the dirt shoulder that I run on. I have noticed this in the past, but I have never noticed the discrepancy between soreness in one knee and not the other before, and I am almost positive it is due to the left knee working differently than the right due to the slope. So from now on I run on the pavement. There are no fishers in the river anymore. Perhaps the run of fish is over for the season, or the river is too high. I noticed that the parking area for the fishers has a large refuse bin which is empty today. Just last week it was full. It might be where the park rangers dump their trash after changing the bags in the bins. I am using a different sun block now, Banana Boat Sport Ultra Sweatproof UVA & UVB SPF 30 Sunblock Lotion. The name rolls right off the tongue. It's creamier than the Safeway Sport sunblock I used, which makes application easier. It goes on thick and absorbs slowly. I have to rub the excess into my skin so I don't have white marks on me when I go out. When I finish I tend to have blotches of white on my skin where the sunblock has reappeared, which I do not enjoy. It works fine as a sunblock, and it does not run into my eyes. I got two 236 mL tubes in the bargain bin at a local Walgreens for a fraction of the price. After they're done in a month or two I think I'll go back to the Safeway Sunblock or try something else. I am pleased to see my heartrate so low. Last week I had a personal best of 49 bpm. I tend to have a low heart-rate after eating well the previous day and waking up from a dream, as I did this morning. This doesn't exactly make sense to me, since I would think that I would have a faster heart-rate after waking from a dream. I am sleeping on my back at night, which allows me to relax more.
Time: 47 minutes
Goal Time: n/a
Distance: 5.79 km (3.59 mi) http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=157066
Total Distance For Year: 464.6 km (275.8 mi)
Weight (after run): 77.4 kg (170.67 lbs), 17% body fat
Any irregular feelings, aches, pains, heart rate, and so forth?: left ankle sore, left knee sore
Foods eaten today: vegetable-bean burrito, soy milk, Powerbar

2 comments:

Peter Mc said...

Good luck. Did a half marathon in 1983, swore never to run a step again. Now in training for half ironman tri...

Watch the knees.

iokevins said...

Hi Peter, love the reference to "multi-bummer six pack" in your blog post. :)

I appreciate your concern regarding the knees. I feel concerned too. I am thinking if this continues of doing something low-impact, like swimming, or biking.

Blog Archive