Monday, May 22, 2006

KYDS Songs

Heard these songs today:

Now defunct El-Paso-based At the Drive-In has a song called "Invalid Litter Dept.," from their 2004 album "Relationship of Command" on the Fearless Records label. I've heard it a few times on KYDS and didn't understand the lyrics. I thought the tune was irritatingly catchy and didn't understand why it kept getting played. So it wasn't until this evening when I decided to blog about recent songs that I realized the meaning behind the song. Now I enjoy it, want to see the video. UPDATE: Here's the video on YouTube.

NYC-based Blondie's "One Way or Another," from their 1979 album, "Parallel Lines" on the Capitol label. I love Deborah Harry's confidence, playfulness, and fun.

Seattle-based Minus the Bear's "Memphis and 53rd," from their 2005 album "Menos el Oso" on the Suicide Squeeze label. I enjoyed the tightness of the band and the dream-sequence expressed in these lyrics:
That night we laid on the floor of the desert but I could barely sleep
Yeah, I had this dream
There was a man in a black car with a man in the back seat and I woke up in a cold sweat with her lying next to me


I enjoy the random chaos of my own dreams, so this resonates with me.

No comments:

Blog Archive