Thursday, May 18, 2006

Math



This week I have been helping a friend with review for elementary- and college-level algebra so she might take her AccuPlacer test and skip some classwork.

We have a inside-joke team name, the East Side Culver's Math Brawlers. We name our variables fun names like Christopher and Allowicious.

I graduated from college with a minor in mathematics. Six years out of college, I'm finding my retention of math quite poor, but I am enjoying re-learning. This blog post inspired me a while back but until now I have not had the motivation to dive into math again.

Tonight she seemed to feel exhausted and stated she wanted to wind down after a problem in the exponents and polynomials set stymied us. After the phone call I completed the set and discovered I simplified them all correctly except for one trick I forgot. If a variable, let's call it Christopher, has a negative exponent and it's in the numerator, you can dump it down to the denominator (lengthy explanation of why this is so omitted). So tonight was a learning opportunity. Fun.

No comments:

Blog Archive