Sunday, May 14, 2006

Eppie's Great Race, Sacramento

Looking at the Kayak courses at CSUS Aquatic Center and noticed Eppie's Great Race, a mid-July tradition here in Sacramento for the last 33 years. It's a mini-triathalon, about 6 miles running, 12.5 miles biking, and 6.35 miles paddling. I love it, want to do it. I just don't have the skills and the money to at this point ($75 plus kayak training/rental plus fixing my bike), and I don't have the energy to do it two weeks before the San Francisco Marathon. The CSUS Aquatic Center is nice enough to provide kayaks and support to those who pass their training/refresher course ($135/$70, respectively), which is generous, although there seem to be other companies in the area. I have paddled a canoe, but I need a refresher course.

I have seen the Eppie's Great Race rock in William Pond park, but never quite grasped the significance.

Other things I have learned this evening: the bridge separating William Pond park from Goethe Park is called the Arden Bar Bridge, while the footbridge next to Sunrise is called the Sunrise Avenue Footbridge.

And they call entrants Ironpersons. Cute. Simplifies things.

2 comments:

brthomas said...

I see that you have been keeping up your running journal. Did you ever find the time to compete in Eppie's Great Race?

iokevins said...

Thanks for asking! It is a life goal still waiting to be achieved. :o)

Blog Archive