Friday, March 02, 2007

Running Journal, Friday, 2007-03-02

Running Journal, Friday, 2007-03-02
Resting heart rate: n/a (forgot)
Body Mass Index (BMI): (kilograms/(meters^2)) 22.790
Weather: sunny, 3 m/s winds
Temp: 8-15 C (46.4-59 F)
Time: 10:25-15:21
Terrain: mostly flat, some rolling hills
Comments: 23 miles today, sick. Arrived at the pedestrian bridge this morning sort of groggy. Groggy's not a bad place to be when running 23 miles since it tends to quiet the mind and negative feedback that might arise. Recent rains have swelled the river some, but nothing like the heavy flows from 2006 yet. I haven't been to the Parkway in just under four weeks. I noticed a few new graffiti marks. I remembered everything this time: sunblock, sunglasses, lip balm, food, gloves, correct shoes. Springtime has arrived on the American River. Trees have blossomed, little frogs croak in the water left by recent rains, infant jackrabbits hop chase each other playfully. I realized today how much I missed the Parkway family and saying hello to people as I pass. Sacramento County has replaced the Adopt-a-Parkway signs with new ones for the high-number miles. One name that jumped out at me was the Sacramento Tall Club (6'2" for men and 5'10" for women). :) I went out strong, ending my first 11.5 miles at 2:08, with a headwind. That's the fastest pace I've run in a long time. As before, today's run became an exercise in snot management. Turning back east, my jaw dropped at the sight of the snow-covered Sierra Nevadas. The wind had swept away all of the pollution and they looked magnificent. Based on previous long runs, I remembered to fill up my water bottle today. While this made carrying it a burden due to the water weight, the benefit of having water outweighed the drawbacks. I used bathrooms at the 13.5-, 10.0- (twice), and 13.0-mile markers. I drank water every 20 minutes fairly consistently. When I stopped at the 13.0 marker for a break, I grokked for what seemed like the first time the meaning of thc graffiti. :P Marijuana, lovely. At about the 12.5 mile marker on the return, after passing a woman pushing a baby stroller and another walking woman, I heard what sounded like Caw! Then I heard it again. I heard the whirring and creaking of a bike so I figured someone was cawing at the women as they passed and braced myself. Instead, as the biker passed, he said Hello nonchalantly. He had headphones on, a beard, and wore gray sweats. He rounded the corner and disappeared. A moment later I rounded the corner, and noticed him in front of me by about 10 meters dance-walking next to his bike. He hopped back on his bike, and pedaled down the trail again. Every other minute or so, he exclaimed Caw! How weird, I thought. At mile 13.0, as I stopped to use the bathroom, I noticed he had pulled into the picnic area to the right and gotten on top of the picnic table and was dancing to some unheard music. :) I never felt threatened. Only in California? I continued on my way, never to see him again on the remainder of my run. The cold and the initial strong run were taking it's toll on me by this time. My breath became labored, and I began feeling mentally fuzzy. At the mile 16 marker, I decided I needed to stop running and walk until I felt strong again. I used my last gu shot at the 16.5 marker, and walked the remaining miles back. I felt disappointment, but also knew that I couldn't keep up the 11:08 pace the whole way, and I was exhausted physically. As I walked back along my favorite stretch of trail, mile 18.5, my mind imagined the trees as my elders. I try to stay on the asphalt trail during this stretch so as to not compact the soil any more than it already is. I realized as I walked back that I hadn't taken one-mile walks after completing my long-runs since early in the fall. The walks really help. I also realized that it's important to take out one more gu gel shot than I think I'll need, just in case. Tonight I feel great. I can't believe I ran 23 miles today. Dawn and I went out to eat to celebrate, then went to PetsMart to play with cats. We went to the gym tonight so Dawn might exercise and I might use the hot tub. It's good to be done with today. ;) I can't wait to be done with this cold. x_x
Exercise Time: 4:56 (296 minutes). Split at 12:37 (2:08, or 128 minutes). Second half 2:48, or 168 minutes. Overall 12:52 pace (5:37 marathon pace). First half 11:08 pace (4:52 marathon pace). Second half 14:37 pace (6:23 marathon pace).
Goal Time: 6:00
Distance (running): 37.01 km (23.00 mi) http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=742756
Total Running Distance For Year: 278.74 km (183.01 mi)
Weight (after exercise): 78.0 kg (171.99 lbs), 17% body fat
Any irregular feelings, aches, pains, heart rate, and so forth?: head cold, sore throat, left ankle felt sore, back felt sore
Foods eaten today: two bowls of strawberry special K cereal with soy milk, banana, gu gel shots, mizithra, bread and butter, minestrone, vanilla ice cream, chocolate

No comments:

Blog Archive