Monday, March 05, 2007

Laptop

Blogging this from Dawn's PC tonight as my laptop keyboard bit the dust. x_x Doing minor repair work several weeks ago I broke the plastic clamp on the keyboard cable connector on the motherboard. I put in super glue to hold the cable down, which worked great until tonight. A possibly unrelated hardware failure occurred when I took off the keyboard to fix a stuck 'z' key. After replacing the keyboard I noticed a set of keys didn't work (for example, 'alt', 'tab', 'ctrl', 'a'). Ugh. All I need to replace is this one connector. x_x It might cost less to replace the entire motherboard though, since I imagine every computer expert in town charges $75/hr just to tell me I need a new motherboard anyway. :P The questions I have are 1) where can I purchase such a connector, and 2) where can I find someone to precision-solder it onto the motherboard? It's probably a few hours work to remove the motherboard, perform the soldering, and restore the laptop, so maybe purchasing a new motherboard is the way to go. x_x

No comments:

Blog Archive