Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Running journal, Wednesday, 2006-04-26

Running journal, Wednesday, 2006-04-26
Resting heart rate: 66 bpm (60 second test)
Day: Wednesday
Date: 2006-04-26
Weather: Sunny, 1 m/s wind
Temp: 23.3 C (74 F)
Time: 11:18-12:13
Terrain: Mostly flat, some mild hills
Comments: Beautiful running day, not a cloud in the sky. Noticed a kayaker near the pedestrian bridge as I started out, and I thought, I would like to try that. :) It was hotter today, and I sweat a lot more than normal. Wore my sunglasses, and noticed that part of the trouble seems to be focusing using them. It's like wearing glasses again, and the new focal point is a bit disorienting at first. I ran all the way to the Nimbus Dam again today, stopping to drink water, then I turned back and ran up Gold Country Road to the entrance to Nimbus Road. I took the closed access road today for the first time, running along the rocky, largely overgrown dirt road back to the Nimbus Road a few hundred meters later. I enjoyed the scenery, but probably won't do it too frequently since I don't enjoy the large rocks. I don't even think twice about running on the exclusive private asphalt trail for Gold Country residential homes, I have never seen anyone using it. I had a scare as I approached the dead end of Upper Sunrise Drive from the east though. On my left, through my sunglasses, in the shadows, I noticed what I thought were the hind-quarters of a mountain lion sticking up from the grass, as if it were shaking, ready to pounce. The form had a large tail, and before I could conciously react, I felt the flush of adrenaline and other hormones flooding my system. I had taken a few additional steps by this time, and was able to reidentify the form as a female wild turkey. The tail was actually the neck, and the hind-quarters was actually the body. The adrenaline rush lasted for a few more minutes, then subsided, but it was a curious realization that my body, after running for 35 minutes, is able to shoot me full of a chemical that instantly made me feel flexible and full of energy, and instantaneously. Amazing. As I entered Upper Sunrise Dr., I noticed two jackrabbits sitting on the left shoulder. As I approached, they split up, one immediately running to the right into the woods, the other bounding down the asphalt for one hundred meters until it reached a trail, which it disappeared down. As I approached the mile 21 marker, several leisurely bikers passed me, and one mentioned, "There's a snake up ahead on the trail, a bad one." More danger, I thought, great. It was at this point that I passed two women, who both communicated hello, one by waving (wearing headphones) the other verbally with a big smile. :) I always enjoy the community. No snake presented itself, though, on the way back. I did get startled by a squirrel that darted across my path. At that point I think I was feeling a bit jumpy. I finished my run without incident. As I walked up the hill to the pedestrian bridge, I passed three young men who had sub-culture outfits, and one had a mohawk. Fun. I said hello, and they returned the greeting. As I felt very sweaty and hot by this time, I looked at the water as I crossed the bridge with envy. It's a minty green right now, and looks cool and inviting. I briefly considered the irrational possibility of jumping off the bridge, leaving my shoes on the deck. As I walked, I considered my shoes, and how Galloway states a pair of shoes might last 400 miles or so. This year sometime my shoes will get that much mileage, and I'll replace them. Oh, I had one other idea, something I did in 2000, but I haven't done since -- park my car down on Upper Sunrise Drive, and sit along the bank and read for about an hour in the morning. :) I loved doing this back in Eau Claire, around 09:00 in the morning, sunning myself.
Time: 55 minutes
Goal Time: n/a
Distance: 7.58 km (4.7 mi) http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=147987
Total Distance For Year: 439.3 km (260.1 mi)
Weight (after run): 77.2 kg (170.22 lbs), 17% body fat
Any irregular feelings, aches, pains, heart rate, and so forth?: Knees felt a bit stiff today when I started out.
Foods eaten today:

No comments:

Blog Archive