Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Running Journal, Wednesday, 2007-02-21

Running Journal, Wednesday, 2007-02-21
Resting heart rate: 68 bpm (early afternoon)
Body Mass Index (BMI): (kilograms/(meters^2)) 23.083
Weather: n/a
Temp: n/a
Time: 21:15-21:55
Terrain: flat
Comments: Dawn and I drove back from the Bay Area this evening straight to the gym. I ran 40 minutes and watched a momma hippo and her baby on Animal Planet, then switched and caught a black and white movie (I searched but couldn't find the movie's name) where a woman's courted by eight suitors, and somehow she has to escape the police and meet her love. I switched finally to Law & Order: SVU (Protection, season three, episode 55). I immersed myself in the hot tub up to my neck this evening and it felt great. Three early-twenties males came into the hot tub and spread out all over and started telling jokes back and forth. I think it was their first time in the hot tub because they walked up in sneakers and hats and hoodies and made a big deal about how hot the water felt. I enjoyed their humor for the first five minutes. After about ten minutes though, after it seemed their initial excitement wore off, I sensed some tension in their jokes, like they didn't feel comfortable relaxing around one another in a close space. On the way home Dawn and I talked about it (she had noticed it too) and we came to the conclusion that the tension stemmed from insecurity (Dawn says she heard them say something homophobic). I felt irritation after sitting with them for a while because I wanted to have a conversation with Dawn. I realized on the way home that their jokes were really a demand for attention, and I think maybe they felt defensive/awkward when Dawn and I chose to not participate in their discussion. With complete strangers, it all felt weird.
Exercise Time: 40 minutes
Goal Time: n/a
Distance (running): 5.36 km (3.33 mi)
Total Running Distance For Year: 226.97 km (140.85 mi)
Weight (after exercise): 79.0 kg (174.195 lbs), 16% body fat
Any irregular feelings, aches, pains, heart rate, and so forth?: None
Foods eaten today: cereal and soy milk, crumpets with jam, orange juice, chinese fried rice, spring rolls, chow mein, bagel with Velveeta cheese

No comments:

Blog Archive