Wednesday, July 19, 2006

SUV Sightings

Saw a 2006 Hummer H2 SUT with 21-inch performance tires and chrome rims, near Del Paso Road and Natomas Boulevard in Natomas. I felt amused because I can understand the desire to show bling to impress others but the idea of putting performance tires on an off-road vehicle strikes me as humorous. And at the same time I react to it with some admiration of their honesty -- I wonder how many of the SUVs I pass each day have left the paved streets and highways of Sacramento.

A colleague from a former job shared he and his wife purchased their SUV in part for safety considerations during trips to Lake Tahoe during the winter. Since it doesn't snow here in Sacramento, I question how much bang for their buck that amounts to. Especially considering how vehicles often seem to get used for commuting and other single-occupant driving, rather than for the rugged niches sales and marketing folks seem to enjoy conjuring up and sharing during commercial television breaks.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

I share your sentiments about SUV's. So many people get them for "safety" or to give the image of being "outdoorsy", when mostly they use them to haul the kids to school or get groceries. It's kinda' sad.

Blog Archive