Monday, July 17, 2006

Running Journal, Monday, 2006-07-17

Running Journal, Monday, 2006-07-17
Resting heart rate: not available (forgot)
Weather: sunny
Temp: 21C-32.7C
Time: 04:36-9:53 (w/25 minute break)
Terrain: mostly flat, mild hills
Comments: 20 miles today. After getting bonked over the head repeatedly by high-heat failures, I got up way early, before the sunrise to beat the predicted 42 C (108 F) heat (109 F actual, a record). Drove first to American River College and ran on the track because I thought they might have lights (turns out the track was dark). After one mile I noticed the sky lightening around 05:00, so I decided to drive to the American River Parkway and continue running there. I enjoy running trails, especially when it's cool. As I walked in the pre-dawn sunlight from Bridge Street to the trail, a man ran past me up Bridge Street with a headlamp on his head. Neat. At mile two, I came upon two female wild turkeys and their five baby turkeys feeding on the side of the trail. They were tame and allowed me to run past them, then watched me carefully as I stopped and watched them from about six feet away. About a mile down the trail, I passed a dozen black-tailed deer, some bucks with sizeable antlers, eating in the pre-dawn coolness in the field on the other side of the fence that ran along the trail. One buck less than a foot from the fence looked up at me nervously with a ball of hay in its throat, then returned to eating. I wish I had a camera with me to take pictures of the things I see. At 6:00, the sun rose. At 6:24, I noticed the first flights from Sacramento International Airport flying overhead to the east, and the first bikers passing me on the trail. Running in the pre-dawn coolness is fun but at the same time I was a bit nervous about safety. I considered carrying a sign that says, "Runner carries no cash." I noticed blackberry bushes ripening all along the trail. As I entered Ancil C. Hoffman park, an older runner passed me, greeting me with a cheerful comment about beating the heat, to which I laughed. He split onto a separate trail, and when we met again he wished me well and continued. After hearing his excitement I was uncomfortable telling him I was about 4.5 miles from my half-way point and willing to suffer the heat on the way back. Around 07:00, the bicycle commuter traffic increased rapidly as people made their ways to work. Along long stretches of the river, I also noticed dragonflies flying in swarms above my head. Morning doves resting or feeding by the trail-side sounded alarms as they flew away from the trail in excitement. After reaching the half-way point, I turned into the rising sun and faced the heat head-on. Re-crossing the American River at Ancil C. Hoffman park, I saw the river was low enough and the water clear enough to pick out the features on the bottom, such as the large rock slabs and sand. As I reached mile 14.5, I noticed a soft crackling in the grasses next to the trail I had never heard before. I wasn't sure whether it was insect- or wind-related. I had a gut-check moment around mile 16 where I considered changing my running style to adapt to the heat (by that time about +20F from when I started). After a few trials, I decided to return to running three minutes and walking one minute. Happily I had my water bottle with me. I'm beginning to wonder how I made it through runs before without it. At 9:53, with the heat of the day rising rapidly, I reached mile 20. I walked to the river near the defunct boat launch (I see they've erected a earthen hill to keep out vehicles from the launch), past the Espinosa Surveying crew marking out some areas, and dunked my legs into the cold water. As I cooled down, I watched a fisherman float by on an innertube. The only thing I saw him catch was some plant matter from the bottom. Two flotillas of ducks met each other to my left, then seperated back into their respective camps. Several pigeons flew overhead from the pedestrian bridge to the bank, then one returned with a twig in its beak. On the opposite bank, on the small shore at the base of the towering bluffs, a deer disappeared back into the vegetation. After I realized I was feeling chilly, I left for home, by which time the temperature was 32 C (91 F). Too hot. I continued to see people running though, and wished them well.
Time: 5:17 minutes (4:52)
Goal Time: n/a
Distance: 32.3 km (20 mi)
Total Distance For Year: 400 miles + (lost count)
Weight (after run): 78.6 kg (173 lbs)
Any irregular feelings, aches, pains, heart rate, and so forth?: sore leg muscles, left toe a bit sore (shoe?)
Foods eaten today:

No comments:

Blog Archive