Monday, July 10, 2006

Running Journal, Monday, 2006-07-10

Running Journal, Monday, 2006-07-10
Resting heart rate: 57 bpm (60 second test)
Weather: sunny, 2 m/s wind
Temp: 17.2 C (63 F)
Time: 05:26-06:11
Terrain: mostly flat, mild hills
Comments: Awoke at 05:00 and arrived at the American River Parkway early to beat the heat. Way early. As I crossed the pedestrian bridge a gaggle of young girls had assembled themselves on the slats to watch the sun rise. I had a mental breakthrough on my 16-mile run on Saturday, where I realized that running tall means standing straighter. I ran that way today, enjoying it, and found myself running 10:45 miles. Compared to my 13:20 marathon pace, that seems to be an improvement (although today's run did not have walk breaks). There were one or two people on the beach underneath the pedestrian bridge throwing stones into the water. A number of bicycle commuters passed me, as did one runner in denim shorts, a white tee-shirt, and a cowboy hat that seemed too small for his head. I saw an ex-skunk today on the side of the trail. It looked like maybe someone hit it with their bicycle, bad news all-around. My new shoes seem to work, although my left toe seems a bit squished inside the shoe. I think one of my feet was a bit bigger than the other, and I am guessing it's the left one. I saw several new yellow flowers today but decided not to pick any because I did not see them in abundance. When I see flowers I think of Dawn and how I'd like to share them with her, if she was here. As I recrossed the pederstrian bridge, I noticed the girls had left, leaving some trash behind. On Bridge Street, several wild chickens sounded their morning call as they scavanged for food. I felt cool and happy running in the early morning today, compared to running hot and exhausted even a few hours later.
Time: 44 minutes
Goal Time: n/a
Distance: 6.12 km (3.8 mi), http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=287548
Total Distance For Year: 656.3 km (392.9 mi)
Weight (after run): 80.0 kg (176.4 lbs)
Any irregular feelings, aches, pains, heart rate, and so forth?: left toe hurting a bit, left quad a bit sore, right knee a bit sore, left muscle behind the knee a bit stiff. Mostly feeling great.
Foods eaten today: Safeway Honey and Nut cereal with soy milk.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

My left foot is smaller than my right. I've always had to keep this in mind when buying shoes, especially for running.

I wonder if that ex-skunk had any affiliation with the ex-parrot from the Monty Python sketch? Still sad, at any rate, to see any creature meet an unfortunate end. ;.;

*sigh* I wish I could go running with you. Must get the left ankle back in shape. Someday.

Thanks for thinking of me upon seeing flowers... it was nice to receive a flower when I got home from work! I love you!

Blog Archive