Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Solo Éxitos

Saw a van for Sacramento-based Radio Magia on Fair Oaks Boulevard this week. It had the words "Solo Éxitos" on the side, which I didn't understand until I found this Sac Bee article:
Normally, weighty and divisive political issues don't find their way onto the morning drive-time show on Magia (KLMG, 94.3 FM). The Spanish-language station's motto, after all, is "Solo Éxitos" - "Only Hits."
I typed it into Babelfish but without the accent over the 'E' it didn't translate it properly. Ugh. Why can't you understand what I mean and not what I say Babelfish?

I moved to Sacramento from Wisconsin in 2000, and I found the Spanish radio stations and their cultural differences fascinating. I listened to them everyday for several weeks with a desire to improve my Spanish comprehension from high school and college. I did end up learning a car insurance jingle but unfortunately little of general utility. Disappointingly, I still can't speak, read, write, or understand Spanish.

No comments:

Blog Archive