Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Happy Birthday

It's my birthday, it's my birthday. Today marks the start of my 30th revolution around the sun (I'm 29).

I wondered today what other astronomical methods of measuring age exist. Wikipedia states the equator of the sun rotates once approximately every 25 days. Therefore, I am roughly 423.69 solar rotations old ((365.25/25) * 29).

The first radio pulsar, CP 1919 (now known as PSR 1919+21), with a pulse period of 1.337 seconds, indicates I've been alive for 684,495,437.5 pulse periods ((60*60*24*365.25*29)/1.337).

Age aside, I've enjoyed this birthday immensely. I ran about four miles this morning, then chatted with Dawn for several hours, then spent the afternoon reading at the Fair Oaks public library, then came home and talked with my mother and my brother, and IM'd Dawn. I also ate nearly a whole pint of Ben and Jerry's Vanilla Heath Bar Crunch, my favorite. Yum.

Special thank you to Dawn for spending time with me on my birthday. I love you. *snuggles*

UPDATE: Dawn points out in the comments that this is the leet pulsar. Brilliant. Thank you.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

wow.... judging by the pulse period of PSR 1919+21, it must be "1337"!

I love you! And I'm happy that I could make your birthday wonderful. I can't wait to celebrate with you again, when I'm in Cali! ^_^

*snuggles*

Blog Archive