Sunday, February 12, 2006

Shared Humor and Ice Cream


I was at the Sacramento Natural Foods Co-op this evening to satisfy a craving for my favorite Honest Tea flavor, "First Nation Peppermint." Yum. :)

As I entered the frozen-foods aisle, I noticed a man and two women (in their 60's) peering into the display cases. As I glanced over the bags of chips on my side of the aisle, I overheard them discussing Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream. Apparently, while the man was familiar with it's history, his companions were not. Perhaps feeling impatient at their indecisiveness, he livened up the conversation by playfully telling them, "If you buy that you'll be making a political statement."

I reflexively laughed out loud at his mixture of politics and ice cream. :) It was obvious he was setting them up to show them how ice-cream educated he was. ;)

Immediately after laughing I gave up on the chips and turned to walk past them down the aisle. As I did, both women turned around with confused looks on their faces to see who had laughed at their companion. :) "I laughed at what he said," I mentioned to them as I passed, still smiling and enjoying the humorous situation of a man trapped with indecisive ice-cream buyers. My words seemed to resonate with the man, because he began laughing too, and I continued to hear him laugh as I walked down the aisle. :) I laughed at that until I left the aisle, enjoying the gift of shared humor between complete strangers.

Note: As you can see in the above graphic, my favorite Ben & Jerry's flavor is Vanilla Heath Bar Crunch. It's not really bad for you if it's your favorite, right? ;)

Also, how cool would it be to work for Ben & Jerry's, creating clever Flash animations of cows that "moo" and squirrels arranging ice-cream cones into pyramid structures? ;) Their cow covered with a sheet in the Flavor Graveyard cracked me up. :) What a fun company.

1 comment:

iokevins said...

Hi Carla, thanks for sharing that link.

Also, congratulations for posting the first comment on my blog. :)

Blog Archive