Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Running journal, Wednesday, 2006-02-15

Running journal, Wednesday, 2006-02-15
Resting heart rate: 60bpm (60 second test)
Day: Wednesday
Date: 2006-02-15
Weather: Sunny, big cloud banks on the eastern and western horizon
Temp: 16.1 C (61 F)
Time: 14:00 - 15:00
Terrain: flat
Comments: Much cooler than yesterday. The National Weather Service has issued a freeze warning for this evening. Enjoyed the sounds of a tree full of chirping birds. One woman passed me running very quickly as I began. She passed me again as she returned from the first wayside park, and I said hello. She could barely muster a response, she was breathing so hard. I ran smoothly and consistently today, and I had a great day. :) A bit tired, but happy at the completion. What kept me running at an easy pace was Galloway's remark that the mid-week runs are recovery runs that maintain the endurance of the previous long run, and are not meant to improve endurance or speed. So I ran an easy pace for 45 minutes without stopping. :) My next run is Saturday, 14 miles. :) I wore my sunglasses for the first time today, and they worked well, keeping the bright sun out of my eyes on the way out. I would like sunglasses that do not hug my face quite as much, but I think for practice these will work ok. The test of whether I will stick with them for longer than 45 minutes is the long run on Saturday. The Safeway Sport Sunblock (SPF 30) is working perfectly, no complaints. I am happy that I am taking precautions, because I really value my health and want to continue to run for a long time. Saw the well-built fence again that I saw on Monday, and noticed that they also had constructed a horseshoe pit, which had fallen into disrepair. The difference between their fence and the other fences struck me again today. I ran with my hips forward, which lifts my chest, and it feels comfortable. Hardly anyone on the trail this afternoon. Noticed a plaque at the first wayside park, dedicating the park to Fred Caine. It said he was a "child of the universe," which reminded me of the Stoics, who also used that phrase to communicate their worldview that everyone is connected to God through Divine Fire. On the last leg I confused a man as I prepared to pass him by waiting until a cyclist passed by. He had seen my shadow and did not know which side I was going to pass. ;) He thanked me for saying "passing on the right." :) I said hi to a mother walking with her young child on the return crossing of the bridge. The child was taking tiny steps. When I reached my car, I saw that she had stopped and sat down next to several teenagers who had a small white dog with them, and her child was playing with the dog. Someone vandalized the anti-vehicle post on the north side of the bridge again. In its place was a small blaze-orange traffic cone. My current favorite pre- and post-race song is Beausoleil's (Cajun) "Oberlin Two-Step," from their 1987 album, "Hot Chili Mama," on the Arhoolie label. :) Fast-paced fun with catchy guitar and accordion riffs. :) I drank too much water with the PowerBar before running, and ended up stopping twice at waysides. :P
Run Time: 46 minutes
Goal Time: n/a
Miles: 6.21 km (3.85 mi) http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=23173
Total Distance For Year: 86.9 km (53.9 mi)
Weight (after run): 80.8 kg (178.2 lbs), 22% body fat
Any irregular feelings, aches, pains, heart rate, and so forth?: None
Foods eaten today: banana (90 cal), chocolate and peanut butter PowerBar (240 cal), Greek wrap (580 cal), bowl of veggies and brown rice, rosemary bread, bottle of Honest Tea First Nation Peppermint (17 cal)

No comments:

Blog Archive