Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Running journal, Wednesday, 2006-02-08

Resting heart rate: 68 bpm
Day: Wednesday
Date: 2006-02-08
Weather: Sunny
Temp: 21.7 C (70 F)
Time: 13:30-14:30
Terrain: flat, 10' hills along the horse trail on the return
Comments: Perfect afternoon. Ran stronger than on Monday, trying to find the "conversational" pace Galloway mentions. Tried his rubber-band mental trick (with someone ahead of you) and it works -- it helps keep my waist forward, which straightens my posture, which raises my chest, which allows me to inhale a greater volume of air. I tired of the pace after about 15 minutes though, and on the return trip slowed to a more leisurely trot. It seems that some people enjoy community interaction on the trail and others do not. I am finding it easier to tell. One person today for example was 20ish, with wrap-around sunglasses and earbuds for a music device. I said hello as he walked by adjusting his earbud -- no response. Another white-mustached walker approached 50 yards after him. He stared straight-ahead, but I said hello, and he said as I passed him, "Hi, how are you?" to which I say, "Good thanks." :) On the return trip on the horse trail, I was approaching a man who looked over his shoulder to see who this clomper was. I said hello well before I met him, and we exchanged a few sentences, "Beautiful day," he said, "Not a cloud in the sky," I managed as I climbed over the top the hill. Two middle-aged women with small dogs approached, and greeted me with smiles after I said "Hello." Even four smoking, black-clothed teenagers I passed said "How's it going?" as I passed. Other notes: I saw two people sunbathing today, and one person performing Tai-Chi on the opposite side of the river. I sent a note about the missing anti-vehicle posts and my odd story from yesterday to the Sacramento County Municipal Services Agency, and today the missing anti-vehicle post was replaced on the north side of the bridge. I think an additional two anti-vehicle posts were added to the south side of the bridge as well, at the base of the embankment. Wore sunscreen again today. On the drive home, stopped at a stoplight, sweat pored down my face and mixed with the sunscreen. I squinted my eyes to tear the mixture away, but it was potent. Next time I will bring a hand-towel so I might wipe my face down and prevent that from happening again.
Run Time: 47 minutes, with two five minute warm-up/cool-down walks
Goal Time: n/a
Miles: 4.1 miles (http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=14119)
Total Miles For Year: 34.0
Weight (after run): 80.8 kg, (178 lbs) 21% body fat
Any irregular feelings, aches, pains, heart rate, and so forth?: None

No comments:

Blog Archive