Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Running journal, Tuesday, 2006-02-07

Resting heart rate: 64 bpm
Day: Tuesday
Date: 2006-02-07
Weather: sunny
Temp: 20.6 C (69 F)
Time: 13:45-14:35
Terrain: flat
Comments: Walking day. On the return trip today I was walking up the embankment to the south side of the Bridge St. foot-bridge when I noticed a car on the path. :) They had driven across the foot bridge and had paused to assess their situation. I continued walking up the embankment, enjoying the silliness of the situation, when the woman in the passenger side rapped on her window to ask directions. They said they were lost. I pointed out the short path down the embankment to south Bridge St., and said that that would take them to Sunrise Boulevard. They thanked me, obviously relieved, and slowly made their way down the embankment. At the bottom, they saw an anti-vehicle post (which I had forgotten about), and they stopped. I began walking toward them, when another walker (Frank, I later learned) exclaimed in astonishment, "Did they drive across the bridge?" :) We watched the car just fit between the anti-vehicle post and the wooden path marker post, but instead of going straight, they turned left, toward the Upper Sunrise Drive access road, which runs between Sunrise Blvd. and Hazel Ave. . I said to Frank that maybe they decided they just needed a breather after all the stress, but to my dismay they continued driving down Upper Sunrise Drive. By that time Frank and I were walking and enjoying the oddity of the encounter, and he said that he could not believe that the foot-bridge supported the weight of the car. Apparently he worked in construction for some time, and felt surprised that the car did not burst through. Being ignorant of such things, I am taking his opinion for what it is worth. We chatted the rest of the way across the bridge and parted ways on the other side. He wished me luck in my marathon. Other notes, beautiful afternoon day, not a cloud in the sky. The river is much higher these past two days, and walking across the foot-bridge to the west of Sunrise Blvd. felt a bit disorienting if one focused on the immense volume of water rushing rapidly underneath as one walked. A small girl was picking up a bunch of rocks and throwing them all at once into the air to see the splashes. I smiled, remembering my own experiences doing that in my childhood. I wore sunblock today, 45spf. Also, apparently the Jedediah Smith trail ends at the Nimbus fish hatchery. I looked on the map and the trail seems to continue a bit after Hazel Ave., but on the north side of the river. Link to map of foot-bridge area: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=fair+oaks,+ca&ll=38.635528,-121.264461&spn=0.005942,0.012649&t=h
Run Time: 45 minutes (walk)
Goal Time: n/a
Miles: 1.98 (http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=12838)
Total Miles For Year: 30.0
Weight (after run): 82.2 kg (181.2 lbs), 19% body fat
Any irregular feelings, aches, pains, heart rate, and so forth?: None

No comments:

Blog Archive