Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Running Journal, Wednesday, 2011-01-05: Running Without a Net, New Watch, and the Pros and Cons of Public Farting


Running Journal, Wednesday, 2011-01-05
Resting heart rate: 56 bpm (60 second test, ~60 minutes after exercise)
Body Mass Index (BMI): 22.67 (kilograms/(meters^2))
Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR): 1,839 calories
Weather: clear; 0 km/h (0 m/h) winds; 92% humidity; 103 KPA (30.28 inches pressure)
Temp: 5 C (41 F)
Time: ~8:00-8:50 p.m.
Terrain: flat; +/- 6 m (~20 ft)
Comments: So, may as well get the two public farting events out of the way first--neither of which involving me directly, thankfully. Near the corner of Rowena Way and Maison Way, I ran past a group of about five or six people standing outside laughing, as though they were saying their extended goodbyes after socializing. Another man exited the house, remarking about how he had really "dropped one" inside. This stimulated a round of good-natured accusations and joking back and forth about the topic. Fun. The second incident occurred just after I ran past a man who probably weighed well over 200 pounds, near Jonas Larkspur Park. About 10 seconds later, I hear from him a very loud farting noise. Funny? Disgusting? I will let you, dear reader, judge for yourself. I forgot my water and directions, so in effect, I was running without a net this evening. Everything went fine, however--sighting in Orion in the southeast helped immensely with my sense of navigation. Re-running Berkshire Way, as it starts out going south and then twists slowly to the east, I was conscious of the changing direction and mentally was prepared for running across the north/south Morse Avenue. At several points I passed homeowners standing quietly near their properties; this has the potential to be somewhat surprising, since I go for miles without seeing anyone at all. It takes my eyes a few moments to adjust as I run between well-lit yards and darker ones, so I may not always notice them immediately. I usually make the attempt to say hello. I purchased a new watch on Tuesday evening, and am wearing it for the first run this evening. I did not really use any functionality other than the clock, but the Indiglo feature works great. Have felt really drained these past few days. I assume from my near-half-marathon on Saturday, but not 100% sure. My lower-left back has been just a bit sore, enough to notice, these past few days. Qualms come and go in my mind; I am remembering why I quit running back in 2007. Definite warning signs then, which I was right to heed. So feeling some soreness now gives me pause. When I run faster, like I did at the end of tonight's run, I do not feel the soreness in my back, which is good. It may be my body producing endorphins which masks it, however. I should have a better idea of how it feels on Thursday, after any rush has worn off. I did a better job hydrating throughout the day, today, and I ate a bit more before running, which I think helped. Felt strong at the end. Running in other peoples' neighborhoods is not as interesting to me as running around my own. Things seem pretty much the same in suburbia, no matter which area I am in. There is one home at the corner of Joseph Avenue and Jonas Avenue which looks like a palatial palace, however, complete with bubbling fountain. A real pleasure to run past. I enjoyed running past the four parks this evening, as well: Deterding, Crabtree, Winterstein Community, and Jonas-Larkspur. Lots of people getting home or leaving friends' homes. The sight of two quick amber flashes as some unseen person unlocks their car in the distance; a garage door opening, revealing a homeowner and their personal sense of organization; a family hauling their trash to the curb for pickup. Most people either have taken down their holiday displays of lights or leave them unplugged. Have noticed during the day I have not felt as hungry these past two days; at times, feeling uncomfortably overfull. At the same time, forcing myself to drink lots of water (~20-40 ounces over the course of a few hours) at first seems uncomfortable (after all, why drink water if feeling full?) but then feels really good, as though it helps my body work through whatever it needs to do. Still eating less than normal, though; not sure if it means I have a touch of illness, not getting enough sleep, or maybe a combination of the two.
Goal Time: n/a
Distance (running): ~6.44 km (~4.0 miles); http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4205867 ; ~580 calories burned
Weight (after run): 77.6 kg (171.11 lbs), ?% body fat
Any irregular feelings, aches, pains, heart rate, and so forth?: Lower-left back still somewhat sore from Saturday's run; felt sore during slow first half of the run, but better when I started running faster near the end...not sure what to make of this
Foods eaten today: oatmeal + raisins + banana, egg-salad sandwich on whole wheat bread, green tea + lemon juice x 2 cups, whole-wheat pita + hummus, yaki onigiri x 3, Oskri Organics original coconut bar

No comments:

Blog Archive