Saturday, January 01, 2011

Running Journal, Saturday, 2011-01-01: OMG Ponies

Running Journal, Saturday, 2011-01-01
Resting heart rate: 66 bpm (60 second test, 75 minutes after exercise)
Body Mass Index (BMI): 22.5 (kilograms/(meters^2))
Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR): 1,827 calories
Weather: overcast with minor precipitation; 8 km/h (5 m/h) winds from the NE; 92% humidity; 102 KPA (30.18 inches pressure)
Temp: 6 C (43 F)
Time: 11:30-1:54 p.m. (~2:24), ~11:30/miles
Terrain: flat; +/- 24 m (~80 ft)
Comments: Happy New Year! :o) Originally had hoped to get up before the sunrise and see the first light of the new year. I ended up staying up late and sleeping in. However, it was just as well--the cloudy and misty day obscured any direct sight of the sun anyway. I ran 2.5 miles farther than last Saturday, for a total of 12.5 miles. Thought I was only going about 12.0 miles. Struggled a bit; I think I need to improve on hydration and fueling the day before the long run, now. After I started using the Hammer Nutrition Gels, I felt (much) better. Starting to look into 5K races on March 5 (Sacramento Trail Run Series 5K), March 26 (nothing on the 26th, yet; on the 27th is the Nutrition Fuels Fitness 5K), and April 16 (no 5K events locally, yet; in Stockton there is the Spear-It 5K in conjunction with the Asparagus Festival :o)). I have run 43 consecutive days--really feeling strong. Pulling out my Galloway's books on Running and Marathon for tips and advice, again. Saw a sign on a garage on Park Road which said "Whoa" (area of horse barns and such). Saw the peacock and two swans at the home on the eastern end of Park Road. Kept my waterproof list of directions safely within my pocket this time. I love the fresh smells and humidity after a rain. Discovered Mason Lane near American River College; turned out to offer some lush views of the opposite side of Winding Way, near the larger estates in that area. It connects with Hope Lane, which Google Maps says goes through to Walnut Avenue, but in reality has a gated fence preventing motorized vehicle access. At the corner of Hope Lane and Walnut I passed two very friendly, fenced-in miniature horses. I used an analog watch I received as a gift at work to to record my run/walk breaks. It did not work very well. I ended up running for six minute increments most of the time, with one-minute breaks. Roughly. There was one stretch from California Avenue to Grant Avenue (just under 1/2 mile) where I completely forgot to look at my watch. After I reached the stopping point, I meandered back through Mira Loma high school campus. I saw a homeless man sleeping in the small entrance to the women's lavatory, his bike propped up against the door. In the middle of the commons, someone had piled together approximately 30 grey plastic garbage cans, upside-down.
Goal Time: n/a
Distance (running): ~21.33 km (~12.5 miles); http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4211483; ~1,700 calories burned
Weight (after run): 77.0 kg (169.76 lbs), ?% body fat
Any irregular feelings, aches, pains, heart rate, and so forth?: Occasional pin-pricks in my left knee
Foods eaten today: half serving of oatmeal + raisins, banana (two), Hammer Nutrition Gel x 2 (Apple Cinnamon), LL Cool J ultimate smoothie, hard-boiled egg

No comments:

Blog Archive