Saturday, January 15, 2011

Running Journal, Saturday, 2011-01-15: Locked Gates, A Porsche, And A Violin Shop

Running Journal, Saturday, 2011-01-15
Resting heart rate: 58 bpm (60 second test, upon waking)
Body Mass Index (BMI): 22.2 (kilograms/(meters^2))
Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR): 1,821 calories
Weather: overcast with light fog; partly sunny; 3-4 km/h (2-3 m/h) winds primarily from the N; 88-81% humidity; 103 KPA (30.27 inches pressure)
Temp: 9-12 C (49-54 F)
Time: 10:04-13:04 p.m. (~3:00), ~12:24/miles
Terrain: mostly flat, with some rolling hills near the mid-section; +/- 32 m (~105 ft)
Comments: Woke up to a pulse of 58; Friday morning, it was 51, so quite a jump day-over-day. I decided to take it slower than usual, today, per advice. Near-perfect running weather. Discovered my new watch has interval timer functionality. Eureka! I set the first timer to five minutes, the second timer to one minute, set the second timer to repeat automatically, and, voila, my watch did all the work for me. It runs down five minutes, beeps, automatically switches to the second timer, runs down one minute, beeps, then repeats. I do not have to worry about stressing the band by holding the reset button in for several seconds during the long runs. Just beautiful. Separate from the interval timer functionality is the ability to have a stopwatch timer. I used that to time my 45 minute stretches between fueling breaks with the Hammer Nutrition Gels. On top of all that, I used the chrono functionality to time my entire run. I am loving this watch. Ran past the peacocks, swan, and ducks on Park Road, then swung north on Auburn to Orange Grove. At the corner, a very tall bucket lift had raised a (presumably) Sacramento Valley LP technician 35.7 m (117 ft) to the very top of the Verizon pole antenna there. Sacramento Valley LP is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Verizon Wireless. Really enjoyed the next stretch on Orange Grove to Hamilton Street Park, part of the Arcade Creek Recreation and Park District. Saw a truck loaded down with stickers about skateboarding. I do not remember them all, but remembered the word "Foundation" which appears to refer to Foundation Skateboards, which gives away free stickers and sells equipment as well as shoes and other apparel. Very cool. Went the whole way today with only a 12-ounce water bottle containing one tablet of nuun U Natural Hydration - Tangerine Ginger. At the corner of Myrtle Avenue and Auburn Boulevard, I passed a car sales lot operated by ASB Auto Wholesale. In the lot they had a shiny navy-blue 2001 Porsche Boxster Cabriolet, for $11,000. Drool; yes, please. At the American River College, I turned north on Walnut Avenue and reached King Arthur Place. According to Google Maps, this was supposed to provide through access to Creek View Way. Well, it turns out, no. Met a repairman doing some work on the small bridge as I crossed it. He laughed and said something like, "Was supposed to be sun, today." :o) Really positive attitude. This detour, while pleasant visually and socially, added about 0.6 miles to my run, which is primarily why I ended up at roughly 14.5 miles, today. Lots of homeowners outside of their homes today doing maintenance on their homes. For example, pruning, taking down holiday decorations, mowing lawns, digging in the dirt. Remembered, as I saw the large number of vehicles in the American River College parking lot, today represents the first day of classes for the spring semester. My run takes me around and through the north end of the Arcade Creek Nature Area, also part of the Arcade Creek Recreation and Park District, which borders the American River College to the east. As I cross Verde Cruz creek on Garfield, there is a graffiti inscription saying something to the effect of, "and there is always a light at the end of the tunnel." Continued a winding path to Winding Way, then east to Manzanita. There, I noticed Sacramento Violins, a strip-mall shop focusing on violins, violas, and cellos, featuring work by local Bulgarian-native master builder Yuriy Hristev Tchechmedjiev. Dawn wants to learn to play the cello, someday, so this sounds like a great starting point. Continuing east, I passed the previous point of return, Barrett Road, and climbed up Winding Way until it reached San Juan Avenue. From here, I turned south. I noticed a sign near Sumter Drive, which read, "Schweitzer Grove Nature Area". It turns out this is a 17.2 acre nature area with disc golf and walking trails. It is part of the Carmichael Recreation and Park District and it even has its own community-initiated blog page. Turning back west on Lincoln Avenue, I ran for about 2 km when I felt a minor pain in my right ankle area. I had stopped and adjusted my shoe's tongue about 7 km earlier, to relieve pressure. Kept running; Manzanita, Garfield, Walnut, then Gibbons Park and the flock of kept geese adjacent to the park. At the corner of Cypress Avenue and Edison Avenue, a woman and her children sold bags of oranges to passers-by. Perhaps the foul smell I notice running past that point in the evenings is refuse left over from the ad hoc business? Probably not; it smells more like a broken sewage pipe. The persimmons on the tree on Edison Avenue look very ripe but sadly out of reach. My legs, by this point, felt sore and tight. I was out of water. And then I was done. I walked a mile to cool down and felt my legs loosening considerably. By the time I reached home, I felt pretty loose. For running so far, I felt really, really, great. Other times running 14 miles: 2010-07-03 (strained my Achilles tendon); 2006-05-13 (complete disaster; only completed seven miles); 2006-02-18 (sore muscles and exhaustion). Looking back over the first ramping up I did in 2006, I remembered all the mistakes I made (see 2006-05-13, above). I must have made every single one. Feeling good this time likely means I am more serious and experienced, so it is going as it "should". 
Goal Time: to finish
Distance (running): ~23.3 km (~14.5 miles); plus one-mile cool-down walk; http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4235280; ~1,900 calories burned
Weight (after run): 76.0 kg (167.6 lbs), ?% body fat
Any irregular feelings, aches, pains, heart rate, and so forth?: Occasional pin-pricks in my knees near the end; legs stiffened up considerably in the last two miles or so. Some discomfort in my right ankle near km 16-18.
Foods eaten today: Pomegranate waffles x 4 + real maple syrup, Hammer Nutrition Gel x 3 (Apple Cinnamon, Chocolate, Raspberry), LL Cool J ultimate smoothie, nuun U Natural Hydration - Tangerine Ginger, whole wheat pita x 2 + hummus, Trader Joe's mac & cheese, red wine

No comments:

Blog Archive