Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Whistlestop Results

Finish Results
Finish Time 05:29:43.9
Pace 0:12:34
Overall Place 590 out of 608 CenturyTel Full Marathon finishers
Division Place 336 out of 348 Mens Full Marathon finishers
Age Group Place 30 out of 33 M 25-29 finishers
Gender Rank 367 out of 381 M finishers

A personal best for me. I started really slow so for the first time I was in last place for a few minutes. I heard the ambulance's motor about 10-20 meters behind me (it followed the crowd the first 1.5 miles). After that I felt embarrassed and ran faster. I ran out of gas about 16 miles in and runners began passing me again. I had greeted them as I passed them so they wished me well as they went ahead. The course was downhill and had a 15-mph tailwind at times though most of it was sheltered by trees. Felt a bit bored because the trees obscured much of the surrounding landscape. Starting temp was about 1 C (34 F), overcast, quite cold. Dawn and my mother and grandmother took my outer layer at mile five. About half-way through the sun broke out and everything began feeling beautiful. I ended wearing my leggings, gloves, and underarmour. With the white gloves, black leggings and underarmour, and red shorts, my brother's wife noted I looked like Mickey Mouse. I finished strong. My muscles were sore for the remainder of the day and the following day but I feel great now. We celebrated by eating Frankie's Pizza at a party that evening, then I crashed and quickly fell asleep.

Overall a fast race. Might run it again next year. It has about seven beautiful wooden bridges and I enjoyed running a race in my hometown. Negatives include chance of freezing wind, snow, or rain (has happened on at least three occassions).

Link: http://www.itiming.com/html/raceresults.php?year=2006&EventId=183&eventype=0

No comments:

Blog Archive