Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Bud's Fish, Tackle, and Guns

I discovered Bud's Sporting Goods and Fountain (10043 Donner Pass Road--that is, on the main drag) in Truckee, CA a number of years ago--I love the fountain drinks, especially the pineapple shake. On the other side of the store they sell fishing tackle and guns! I take people there on trips to Lake Tahoe or Reno. In 2004 I struck up a conversation with the current owner, and he told me that he played guitar like Chet Atkins and that he had won a number of awards in his youth.

Dawn and I stopped by there on Tuesday around 16:00 but the owner had closed up shop for the day. No hours posted. A small sign above the store on the boardwalk reads, Bud's Fish, Tackle, and Guns.

A quick web search revealed the history:
Bud's Sporting Goods is an old-fashioned soda fountain and sporting goods store owned by Bud Owens until his death. He operated the store for over 40 years. For many years it was owned by Don and Pat Callahan. Previously the location was an ice cream, candy and variety store owned by Joe and Hazel Lewis, which also served as the town's bus depot. Before that it was a saloon.

No comments:

Blog Archive