Monday, February 24, 2020

Green Apple Scavenger Hunt - UCSC Rachel Carson College Dining Hall

The green apple displayed at the entrance to the UCSC Rachel Carson College Dining Hall has gone missing!

I'm documenting the scavenger game to find it below. I am NOT affiliated with anyone involved and am doing this only to memorialize it for myself.

In Fall Quarter of 2018, the UCSC students in ARTG 129 - "Special Topics in Game Design" ran an Alternate Reality Game, Guardians of the UCSC. So I'm kind of hoping they're the same folks behind this--but maybe not! Edits will be sporadic and most likely incomplete.

TIMELINE


Last updated 03/08/2020 around 8:00 p.m. (SMS communications from 03/04/2020)


03/04/2020 (Wednesday)

SMS group conversation (presumably with everyone who signed up? Phone numbers posted to give the flavor of the conversation but redacted a bit to respect privacy):

12:30–12:36 p.m.

(408) 703-xxxx:
Where’s the Apple????

(650) 933-xxxx:
bet he's fucking dead

(408) 703-xxxx:
Free it already 🤬

(831) 298-9291: 
Now on sale only $49.99

(408) 703-xxxx:
You have no right to sell it 😤

(831) 298-9291: 
It’s not a sell, it’s a trade
I’m not fucking dead!

Photo of the RCC dining hall green apple sitting on a table. Photo name: 2020-03-04.jpg

A hand is shown holding the RCC dining hall green apple above a table. The apple appears to have a dent or cut near the base, revealing the white interior. Photo name: 2020-03-04.jpg


(714) 588-xxxx:
don't touch the apple like that he doesn't like it

(408) 703-xxxx:
Why tf r there white stuff marks on it huh

5:00 p.m.

(831) 316-xxxx:
Sounds like the 03/01/2020 hostage exchange at OPERS field failed 😅

7:55 p.m.

(408) 703-xxxx:
^ditto
Y’all Bette return it to its home
Better

*end SMS conversation*

Notes:

  • Sender breaks character
  • Apple seems damaged; unclear whether incurred recently
  • Selling the apple seems ... sad
  • Seems more likely this represents a non-class project (?)

02/28/2020 (Friday)

SMS group conversation (presumably with everyone who signed up? Phone numbers posted to give the flavor of the conversation but redacted a bit to respect privacy):

10:25 a.m.:

(831) 316-xxxx:
Can we get a proof of life photo please? TY!

02/24/2020 (Monday)


12:18–12:48 p.m. 


SMS group conversation (presumably with everyone who signed up? Phone numbers posted to give the flavor of the conversation but redacted a bit to respect privacy):

(831) 298-9291: 
Hi beautiful Slugs, I'm the apple, thank god you're the savior! Please please please find me and save me! ! ❤️

(949) 309-xxxx: 
let her go you monster :(
she gets scared easily

(408) 703-xxxx: 
Don’t assume apple’s gender
Rude

(916) 798-xxxx: 🍏 miss u

(714) 588-xxxx:
Emphasized “Don’t assume apple’s gender”
i miss u big apple :( u made me happy everytime i saw u

(925) 980-xxxx:
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you, but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will kill you

(714) 588-xxxx: i hope they're feeding u well

(408) 703-xxxx: :’) aww

(831) 298-9291: 
love u❤️
they locked me up, but I don't recognize their faces. On Saturday they brought me out and took a couple of photos of me, i don't konw what for
I'm just an innocent apple
😭😭😭

(408) 703-xxxx: Dw go to sleep now,you’ll be safe in ur dreams

(831) 298-9291
they untied me but I can’t move cause I’m an apple
Photo of the RCC dining hall green apple sitting on a chair, unrestrained by cords. Photo name: 2020-02-24.jpg

(949) 309-xxxx:
How are you texting us then? 🤔🤔
Something fishy is going on here
This isn't the apple I know and love
This is her captivators isn't it

(831) 298-9291
the hostage takers untied me from the chair but I can’t move cause i'm an apple
i'm using my burner phone that they didn't find

(408) 703-xxxx:
We will save you soon ☝️
Did they steal your plastic box cover too

(831) 298-9291
Yeah it was taken

(408) 703-xxxx:
The dh is so busy
How did you get kidnapped 😮

(831) 298-9291
They must have the key to my room in dh! It was at night and I was half conscious, they opened the glass door and knocked me out. I couldn’t see their faces but the last word I heard was Porter
I honestly have no clue, I don’t know these people! And I’m scared!
Aight I gotta run they’re coming

(949) 309-xxxx:
it was an inside job
Fire all the rcc workers 😭

*end SMS conversation*

Notes:

  • I laughed out loud at "they untied me but I can’t move cause I’m an apple"
  • Photos on the hosting service have datetime stamps (e.g., 2020-02-23, 2020-02-24), so presumably we get a new one each day (?)
  • The SMS number is local 831 area code and different than the 730 area code (Alberta, Canada) used to sign-up ... it's a nice touch, presumably tied to the burner phone the apple hid
  • First big clue: Porter!

02/23/2020 (Sunday)


3:42 p.m.


SMS (780) 900-1653:
Important update to all participants, do not discard! We received inside source confirming that the RCC dining hall apple is scheduled to be exchanged by the hostage taker at Opers field at exactly 2:00 pm, 3/1/2020.
Photo of the RCC dining hall green apple sitting on a chair, restrained with several cords of the type one might use for climbing or hiking. A hand is shown holding a box cutter--razor extended--toward the apple, in what seems like a threatening manner. Photo name: 2020-02-23.jpg


02/21/2020 (Friday)


11:43 p.m.


Reddit user fred29056 posts:
Rescue Rachel Carson Dining Hall Apple!
Are you tired of the strike? I'm the green apple from Rachel Carson Dining Hall! I am lost and lonely. Come find me! To rescue me, please text at (780) 900-1653. Thanks, Slugs 😘
Photo of the RCC dining hall green apple sitting on a dormitory desk, illuminated by a task light. Photo name: yl21vccxifi41.jpg

Photo of the RCC dining hall green apple sitting on dormitory carpet (blue), next to a ruler, for proof of size. Photo name: kp4v6rvsifi41.jpg

SMS to (780) 900-1653 (around mid-day) results in this exchange:
(780) 900-1653: Thank you for contacting Fred! May I have your first name please?
  Provide name(780) 900-1653: Good morning name! Please Reply YES to accept the scavenger hunt challenge; reply STOP to opt out.
  YES
(780) 900-1653: Your number is added to the list, name! You will receive update information about the scavenger hunt within the next 48 hours.

Notes:

  • Photo file names (not sure if relevant):
    • yl21vccxifi41.jpg
    • kp4v6rvsifi41.jpg

02/20/2020 (Thursday)

Reddit user lookingskyward_ posts:

Subject:Found outside rcc, dont call the number


Flyer found near RCC, with header "WANTED: RCC APPLE STOLEN"
It reads [sic.]:
WANTED 
RCC APPLE STOLEN 
Suspect descreption:
  • electric Blue hair
  • red stripped shoe
  • HEINOUS personality     ** residing at porter!!
Accomplice (???):
  • goth
  • Gay
  • stup*d
ARTIST RENDITION 
[Images of two cartoon characters:

  1. Sonic the Hedgehog (in bare feet)
  2. Shadow the Hedgehog (with firearm)
note: A red line is drawn from "Suspect description" to the image of Sonic, and a blue line is drawn from "Accomplice" to Shadow. A red arrow also points to the red pair of shoes lying next to Sonic.] 
please help us catch them they are VERY dangerous and veyr fast and so so scary please no more crime crime is evil and sinful and bad. than k you
if seen call 911 or call (575)-578-3015
(end of flyer)

The number (575)-578-3015 goes to voicemail and seems cribbed from a Car Impersonator flyer belonging to Alan Wagner, "an L.A.-based comedian who, along with creative partner Sydney Marquez, has turned absurdist, real-life memes into an art form":


Their Instagram page shows the Car Impersonator flyer and many other creations they have posted in their neighborhood:


The voicemail says something like:
Hi this is Carlton.
Uh, let me know if you want me to do it.
Let me know some of what your favorite cars are.
And you can fill me in on what, uh, shape they are generally and what kind of noise they make so I know what to do when I show up.
Uh, Yeah, let me know if it's for kids or nudes. Thanks.
So, edgy/weird comedy and a sort of weird/edgy flyer.

02/15/2020 (Saturday)


10:35 p.m.


Reddit user mischief-moony posts
It’s been a few days since someone stole the giant green apple from rc dining hall and I have not see a single post about it. y’all we need to get that apple back where it belongs.

Notes:
Unclear if mischief-moony in on this (?)

No comments:

Blog Archive