Saturday, November 30, 2013

Running Journal, Saturday, 2013-11-30

Resting heart rate:
Body Mass Index (BMI):
Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR):
Weather: sunny
Temp: pleasant
Time: 12:00-4:00 p.m.
Terrain: mix of rolling hills and flats
Comments: Me after I stopped running about 3.5 miles out: ow, ow, ow, ow. x_x;;  To add insult to injury, my paracord knot popped out just as I was ascending the embankment to cross the Bridge Street bridge. Ugh. So, I walked the last bit back into Fair Oaks village in my socks. This is me after reaching mile six: "hrm, 11 miles to get around Lake Natoma, plus 2.5 miles to get back to the starting point--I'm going for it, that is only 1.5 miles more than my target of 12.0 miles!" I had only planned to go about 12.0 miles today; instead, due to overconfidence and overlooking the first 2.5 miles I had run, I ended up running about 16 miles. : o P And my feet and calf muscles paid the price. On the bright side, my lower back does not hurt at all, and after a few hours of rest, my body feels relatively strong. My joints feel a bit sore, and my feet still feel a bit like tenderized meat, but overall recovery seems OK. The walk of 3.5 miles back, plus the 0.5 miles to the car, represented one of the most humbling, painful experiences I have had, to date. The whole time, I was impatient to get back, sore, and cursing every bump in the bike path which poked into my feet. While running, it represented a relatively normal experience...I went out slow, disciplined myself to stay slow and under control, and felt pretty good. The last few miles, my legs started feeling wiped out. I took a gel shot around mile eight, and another one around mile 11 or 12. Those re-invigorated me, somewhat. I passed that weird biker guy who shouts encouragement and big smiles to everyone he passes--today, he threw me the hang loose hand signs, twice. Dawn and I tried to park at the CSUS Aquatic Center, but an employee at the entrance enforced the parking rules; we checked out the Nimbus Fish Hatchery lot, but it was full. We checked out the Nimbus Dam overlook lot, but that costs money. So, we headed back to Fair Oaks Village. Dawn's ankle started hurting as we began running, so we walked a portion of the first mile, then she turned back. On the last mile of the way back, I ditched the bike path and walked the parallel street back to the parking lot/boat ramp area at Bridge Street Bridge. Many dead salmon in the American River, now. I noticed a Measure A sign for Sacramento County, advertising improvements to the bike paths...hrm. I love the afterglow of running, getting to basically eat whatever I want to replace calories. : o ) I do feel a bit concerned about my calf muscles, especially my right one. It felt sore, today. I am wondering if my running form puts too much stress on them, when I run slowly. : o \
Goal Time: n/a
Distance (running): ~12.0 miles (~4.0 miles walking), so total: 16.0mi
Weight (after run):
Any irregular feelings, aches, pains, heart rate, and so forth?: Sore calf muscles, tenderized feet
Foods eaten today: pumpkin flax granola w/milk, banana, apple, Hammer Nutrition gel shots - chocolate, raspberry (expired, but I ate anyway...were still ok), broccoli, rice cakes, dark chocolate, hummus & flatbread, mushroom & barley soup w/dark bread, Greek Gods Cinnamon yogurt, hard boiled eggs

No comments:

Blog Archive