Monday, November 04, 2013

Running Journal, Monday, 2013-11-04: Aviary Feast

Running Journal, Monday, 2013-11-04
Resting heart rate:
Body Mass Index (BMI):
Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR):
Weather: windy; sunny
Temp: pleasant
Time: 1:30-2:15 p.m.
Terrain: flat with a few mildly rolling hills
Comments: On Saturday, I decided to just "go for it" and took off for a 45 minute run around the American River College campus with my Xero shoe flats. To mitigate any chafing issues with the paracord between my toes, I wore Injinji toe socks. This worked great: no chafing, and only minimal discomfort from the paracord. On Saturday, I ran around and around in the new parking structure. Today, I drove to the American River Parkway, near Fair Oaks village, and ran from the Bridge Street bridge to near the Nimbus Fish Hatchery, which began operating the fish ladder today, according to local radio. I saw salmon swimming upstream at the small side channel near marker 20.5--a sight which I had not seen for many years. Flocks of gulls and cranes and other birds opportunistically stood in the shoals, waiting for the inevitable salmon who do not make it. I pondered running all the way to the Nimbus Fish Hatchery to watch the fish ladder, but (wisely, I think) decided to head back, due to recovery from illness and also wanting to take it easy as I adjust to the new running flats. Speaking of the flats, they seem to work--my right foot is perfect, while my left foot still needs to be dialed in a bit more, as the paracord still chafes between my big toe and the next toe...not sure if I can remedy it by adjusting the knots. The combination of toe socks and flats seems to work though--I'm really happy to see if this minimizes injury. I am definitely feeling stiffness as my leg muscles realize what I'm up to, especially in my lower calf muscles. At one point during the run, I raced a squirrel as it ran toward a tree. I also saw a dust tornado--it was quite windy, which felt great but added a bit of resistance to the run back. I heard what sounded like an Acorn Woodpecker. I noticed the restaurant La Boheme, which I first noticed in 2006, has closed, replaced by restaurant The Mighty Tavern. I noticed a sign on the Bridge Street bridge which says, "Weight Limit 5 Tons", which likely explains why the compact car I watched cross it in 2006 did not burst through. As I crossed back, I carried a black walnut and three oak seeds, passing by a woman getting her picture taken by two slavic-speaking assistants. Lots of love in the air--passed by multiple couples as I walked back up Bridge Street. I forget my watch today, but have run this maintenance run enough times to know approximately how far 45 minute round trip gets me. Really an outstanding day, the wind added an electricity to things, lots of things to see, and I felt pretty good. When I came home, I realized I did not have a gmap-pedometer account...it has been a few years, so either it got deleted or I never created one.
Goal Time: n/a
Distance (running):
Weight (after run):
Any irregular feelings, aches, pains, heart rate, and so forth?: leg muscles stiff
Foods eaten today: sugar snap peas, pumpkin flax granola cereal with milk, banana, apple, mixed vegetables with two hardboiled eggs, spiced apple cider, chocolate, rice cakes, Woodstock's pizza, root beer

No comments:

Blog Archive