Monday, March 07, 2011

Running Journal, Monday, 2011-03-07: Slippery Mud, Takeoff Lights in the Fog

Running Journal, Monday, 2011-03-07
Resting heart rate: 63 bpm (60 second test, 45 minutes after exercise)
Body Mass Index (BMI): 22.73 (kilograms/(meters^2))
Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR): 1,846 calories
Weather: moonless (waxing crescent), overcast; winds out of the SSW at 11.1 km/h (6.9 m/h) winds; 82% humidity; 101.95kPa (30.11 inches pressure)
Temp: 10 C (50 F)
Time: 7:30-8:15 p.m.
Terrain: flat; +/- 11 m (36 ft)
Comments: Did not want to go out tonight. Spent the first part of the evening caulking kitchen and bathroom to stop ants from coming in. Wore leggings, racing shorts, a long-sleeve technical shirt, and gloves, which was just about right for the temperature. The overcast sky reflected the city light, showing me a bit more of the darkened streets than the otherwise moonless night would. Tonight I noticed colors. The overcast skies illuminated the residential area in a mixture of dark grays, with doorways bathed in bright, contrasting oranges and whites. Two cats on Sebastian Way watched me warily as I passed. Above, aircraft takeoff lights occasionally shone through the overcast skies as they ascended. About half-way through, I started picking up the pace a bit. I had sped up and slowed down a few times, watching for the characteristic burn of lactic acid which would indicate I was going into anaerobic mode. I reached Crabtree Park and started going faster. I started getting what must be a runner's high--what felt like clarity of thought and a high level of awareness. I ran west on Churchill Road, south on Morse Avenue, west on Joseph Avenue, then north on Jonas Avenue to Jonas-Larkspur Park. After last Wednesday's run, I had spotted a trail on the south side of the park which seemed to go closer to the frogs' croaking. I decided to head into the park, even though I often hear voices. As I ran past the playground equipment, I passed about five or six teens smoking (ha!). I followed the trail south, leaving cement for slippery mud and hard-pack dirt. Then I was right there with them--thundering frogs everywhere. I ran in the dark through the south of the park, the noise deafening, then diminishing a bit as I approached Evelyn Lane. Exhilerating. I sprinted north to finish the run. 
Goal Time: n/a
Distance (running): ~6.56 km (~4.08 miles); http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/29302358
Weight (after run): 77.8 kg (171.5 lbs), ?% body fat
Any irregular feelings, aches, pains, heart rate, and so forth?: Left lower back a little sore
Foods eaten today: oatmeal + raisins + banana, walnuts, almonds, See's Cafe Latte candy, low sodium V-8, Kirkland Chocolate Meal Replacement Shake, Ito En matcha green tea with lemon juice x 2, Fuji apple, Brown Cow Low-Fat Lemon Twist Yogurt, Trader Joe's Butternut Squash soup, Marie Callendar's cornbread, Tempt Mint Chip Ice Cream, orange juice, Trader Joe's Egg White Salad With Chives on Jewish Rye bread

No comments:

Blog Archive