Monday, February 07, 2011

Running Journal, Monday, 2011-02-07: Running-You're Doing it...Right?

Running Journal, Monday, 2011-02-07
Resting heart rate: 55 bpm (60 second test, upon waking)
Body Mass Index (BMI): 22.56 (kilograms/(meters^2))
Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR): 1,833 calories
Weather: clear and sliver of a waxing moon; winds from the NNW at 8 km/h (5 m/h) winds; 77% humidity; 102 KPA (30.03 inches pressure)
Temp: 12 C (54 F)
Time: 6:50-7:35 p.m.
Terrain: flat; +/- 15 m (27 ft)
Comments: For the first time in...forever?...I ran an average 5:48 minute/km (9:20 minute/mile) over nearly eight km (five miles), this evening. I can't remember ever running that fast. Ever. So, pretty good, right? Well, sort of--I have this sneaking suspicion I am running too fast. I feel like I am really enjoying myself, though. Thus, my qualms. Another beautiful "winter" day here in Sacramento. Wore my leggings, racing shorts, and technical shirt and felt very comfortable. Drove Dawn to the gym and ran on surface streets in the local neighborhood. Lots of people out of their homes, enjoying the spring-like conditions, even though we are just six weeks into winter. Aerosols in the sky reflected the sodium-vapor lights, obscuring Orion. Passed a few cats, heard lots of barking dogs through front screen doors, and saw a beautiful front-yard Japanese-esque garden on Ardenridge Way across from Crabtree Park. Just as I was coming up on Jonas-Larkspur Park, I heard a chorus of frogs chirping and croaking in the cool, damp night air. Delicious. Finished a full eight minutes ahead of schedule, so I ran around to Howe Avenue, then back down to Larkspur Lane and back up to Matheson Way, twice. Felt like I really exercised my rear leg muscles, to the point where I felt them just barely sore at the end. When I walked afterward to cool down, my legs seemed to keep going of their own accord. Thought of Zig Ziglar this evening, and his epiphany of reframing running from a sacrifice to something he enjoyed the benefits of--health, strength, energy, attitude. I sort of feel like I am really getting somewhere. Over the past few weeks, I think I have finally figured out how people run decent race paces--they use the main upper-leg muscle groups, rather than relying so much on the calf muscles. The difference in running is amazing. For most of my first six marathons, I was most likely doing it wrong. Now, it feels right.
Goal Time: n/a
Distance (running): ~7.9 km (~4.9 miles); http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4278295 ; ~631calories burned
Weight: 77.2 kg (170.2 lbs), ?% body fat
Any irregular feelings, aches, pains, heart rate, and so forth?: muscles stiff starting out; ball of foot by big toe building up calluses, very small cut on left foot; felt tired but strong at finish
Foods eaten today: oatmeal + bananas + raisins, apple, egg-white salad on French wheat bread, applesauce, walnuts, almonds, green tea + lemon juice x2, milk, Mikawaya chocolate mochi, Trader Joe's yaki onigiri x2.5, Tofurkey beer brat faux-dog on French brioche hot-dog bun, chocolate square, orange juice, protein powder drink

No comments:

Blog Archive