Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Running Journal, Wednesday, 2010-07-14: RICE

Running Journal, Wednesday, 2010-07-14
Resting heart rate: 63 bpm (60 second test, 75 minutes after exercise)
Body Mass Index (BMI): 23.78 (kilograms/(meters^2))
Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR): 1,883 calories
Weather: warm, sunny
Temp: high of 33 C (91.4 F) , 2.5 m/s NW wind
Time: 15 minutes
Terrain: flat
Comments: It has been one week of recovery since my last maintenance run. Ran at the American River Stadium track this evening and made it approximately 15 minutes before I felt sore in my right Achilles tendon. This afternoon I felt it lower than I did last week, closer to the ankle, so I am pretty sure it is the Achilles tendon. I contemplated going the full 45 minutes with the soreness, but (correctly, I think) chose to call it a night. Iced the area using a paper cup with a frozen block of water for about 15 minutes. Will try to start doing this twice per day, once in the morning before work and once in the evening. Wore my repaired Timex watch for the first time this evening and also wore my new ASICS running shoes. Will be wearing my shoes to work the next week or so to break them in. Disappointed with how I felt this evening, to say the least. However, to date I have had zero pain in my lower back or knees, so dealing with an inflamed Achilles tendon is welcome, relatively. RICE stands for Rest, Ice, Compress, and Elevate, all of which I will be doing, save the compression part. The running environment this evening seemed typical for mid-summer: track practice at the Stadium Track, soccer and football scrimmages on the soccer fields. Water polo practice at the pool.
Goal Time: n/a
Distance (running): n/a
Weight: 81.4 kg (179.5 lbs), ?% body fat
Any irregular feelings, aches, pains, heart rate, and so forth?: Minor right Achilles tendon inflammation
Foods eaten today: Oatmeal + raisins + banana, grapefruit, cottage cheese, Bing cherries, green tea (2 cups), chocolate meal replacement shake, V-8, handful of almonds and walnuts, Greek Gods honey yogurt, mashed potatoes with basil, sliced, fresh tomato sandwich with sea salt and pepper on toasted whole wheat (2), three-berry smoothie

No comments:

Blog Archive