Sunday, June 14, 2009

Homemade Lentil Soup

Yum!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Lentil-Soup/Detail.aspx

Organic spinach, carrots, and celery. The garlic I thought was good at home was not, so we went without. Used two small yellow onions, and a 28 ounce tin of crushed tomatoes (we made a double batch). Simmered for one hour, then ate with a Parmesan cheese bagel and half a chocolate chip cookie for dessert. Two candles for atmosphere. Delicious.

Did not add any salt or pepper, but still had lots of flavor. My pressure cooker that doubles as my soup pot would not hold all the water and ingredients, so I scooped out several tins of water and it still came out fine.

And we will be eating lentil soup for some time to come, based on how much we have left. ;)

An interesting observation: while chopping the food I started sampling the organic carrots, spinach, and celery. Delicious even while raw! It left a pleasant after-taste in my mouth. I must have eaten three celery stalks and a few bundles of spinach.

From the Wikipedia article, Épinard is apparently the French word for spinach. And apparently "a la Florentine" comes from one of the Medici family members who really, really liked spinach.

Only one chocolate chip cookie left. :O

No comments:

Blog Archive