Saturday, July 05, 2008

University Professor Web Pages

This evening I browsed through the personal web sites of full-time faculty at the California State University at Sacramento (CSUS) and the University of California at Davis (UC-Davis).

As a first impression, the personal faculty web sites at both campuses scared the hell out of me.

The winners of best web sites, in my opinion:
Notables:
Profs that care:
Fun:
Oddities:
What I liked: professional picture, clean layouts, pictures of the instructor with students

A point of irony: the CSUS department's 2006-2007 assessment report lists "Communication skills and interpersonal skills" as an essential skill on page two.

A second point of irony: UC-Davis has six people (other than Dr. Staadt and Dr. Ma) whose stated interests involve computer graphics, animation, or visualization: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6--yet their web sites remain woefully primitive, in my opinion.

The serious takeaway: It's all-too-easy to mock people's weaknesses, and I hope this attempt at humor comes across as just that--these people are probably all outstanding in their fields (no pun intended), great people, and great instructors. Yet, if faculty fail to communicate clearly using the most widely available medium available to them, how can we inspire students to do so? This isn't a new phenomenon--the CS faculty web pages of my alma-mater haven't improved that much since I graduated in 2000 (even the resident computer animation expert).

No comments:

Blog Archive