Saturday, March 29, 2008

Paul Mitchell Partner School

The Winter 2007 10th Anniversary issue of Cut & Dry, some issue of Power and Motor Yacht, and W magazine (fashion)--I found them all in the waiting area of the Sacramento Paul Mitchell Partner School today.

I read a story about a guy who's trying to care about global warming even though he's candid about the fact that he puts hundreds of gallons of fossil fuels into his yacht each year. Another story featured a guy who forgot to align his gears or something and he had to run down to the lower helm but he had forgot to take off the sunscreens from his windows so he couldn't see out and by the way he's adrift and the motor's not working and he's panicking that he's going to hit some Krogen super-yacht in the bay--but he doesn't, because he regains control and makes his way to the fuel dock. The amount of luxury in the yachts for sale blew me away--even though I imagine one might get the same experience retro-fitting a hard-shell camper with luxury gear and installing a hydraulic rocker to simulate the wave-motion. Some of the multiple deck boats had helicopter landing pads--looked pretty iffy to me, landing on a bit of deck the size of a driveway, to tell the truth. They also featured a new yacht-storage facility proposal called Hercules that seemed pretty cool--park your mega-yacht in a temperature and humidity-controlled dry-storage room. I guess if one has the $27 million to spend on a yacht that big, one has enough dough to demand the best storage too.

Most of the magazines featured ads on every facing page--fine by me given I had hours of time to kill. I think the funniest ad I saw was in the yacht mag, with two people sunbathing on the back of a rushing boat--my thought was, "Who's running the boat?"

The Cut & Dry magazine is the quarterly Paul Mitchell mag shipped to Partner Schools and afiliated salons around the world. John Paul DeJoria bills himself in the back as "model philanthropist and expert in the field of helping others." I liked that.

It also listed Linda Flowers' answer to the question, "What's on your iPod's Most Played List? John Legend, The Stranglers, Talking Heads, Maroon Five, Neil Diamond, Jack Johnson and Seals & Croft, to name a few." I wasn't familiar with a few of them so I thought I'd write them down.

The final bit I noted from Cut & Dry stated, "A wise man once said, 'You don't want to die with your secret.'"

What's your secret?

No comments:

Blog Archive