Thursday, March 06, 2008

Inter-Public Transit Google Maps

Google maps can't seem to string together public transit systems, regrettably. I keyed in a trip from downtown to IKEA to see what comes up and Google dumps me north of the Sacramento River and expects me to walk 53 minutes the rest of the way (across the river):

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=5th+%26+J+St,+Sacramento,+CA+95814&daddr=IKEA+west+sacramneto&date=3%2F6%2F08&time=9:59pm&ttype=dep&sll=38.603457,-121.520634&sspn=0.063051,0.10231&dirflg=r&ie=UTF8&ll=38.593529,-121.52441&spn=0.063059,0.10231&t=h&z=13&start=0

The thing is, both Sacramento Regional Transit and YOLOBUS post their transit data online:

http://iportal.sacrt.com/gtfs/

Without Google Transit I'd have never gotten onboard so readily with taking light rail and buses to and from school. I'm wondering who else out there (and how many) will also come to that realization. My car largely sits idle now.

The SacRT web site has a handy calculator that calculates rough costs savings. For Dawn and I, it's about $3,500 before parking fees. Including the $15/day parking, it comes out to about $7,000 in savings annually, including the cost of monthly RT passes.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been trying to figure out what rules Google applies. On several occasions I've found RT's online planner at infoweb.sacrt.com will identify options that Google misses. In some cases I believe Google ignores the options because the margin between when a bus is scheduled to arrive and a connecting bus or train is scheduled to leave is too close. I think Google wants at least 5 minutes between connections. RT doesn't seem to care, which is going to be disappointing for anyone who tries RT's option. Relying on connecting bus less than five minutes apart is unworkable, especially during commute hours.

RT does have a beta site -- infortp.sacrt.com -- where they combine their service with Roseville Transit and e-tran of Elk Grove, but it doesn't include Yolo Bus.

As for the calculator, look closer at Google Transit. Next to where it shows you the fare, it puts in parentheses the cost of driving the same route. (Google multiples the mileage by the IRS mileage reimbursement.) For instance, my regular commute costs $2.25 fare vs. $4.54 driving.

iokevins said...

Hi John,

Hoping you and yours are well. Thanks for the info.

Everytime I use SacRT's solution I feel irritation in reaction to the user-interface. It's very difficult in my opinion to get anywhere. First one has to read the directions to understand that one cannot add ST and AVE and other such address info. Then one has to choose from a list of available spots rather than beefing up the AI to figure out where the customer probably wants to go. And I still can't plan a trip to Roseville from downtown unless I want to go to the Galleria. Oh well. Google maps for the win.

Blog Archive