Monday, May 06, 2019

Fritz & Jim - High School Memories

Memories of high school hanging out with my friends Fritz & Jim:
  • Running jokes:
    • Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe: someone realized "left-waffle" sounded hilarious
    • VGA vs. Super-VGA graphics (?) I think this was an advertisement in a PC trade magazine
  • BBS door games:
  • PC games:
  • Sega Genesis:
  • Board games:
    • Risk
  • Sports:
    • One-on-two basketball in Fritz's mom's horsebarn
    • Tennis at the 6th St & 3rd Ave courts (now gone)
  • Random:
    • Fritz's house:
      • His mom had a fridge in the adjacent basement room with horse semen, as she bred horses
      • The basement smelled like potpourri: on 2021-11-07, I smelled a potpourri jar at World Market and it brought me back--the label read, "Pomegranate/orange, filled with notes of pomegranate, orange, cinnamon, clove, vanilla, and cider".
      • Two Boston Terriers: I forget the names, but remember them snuffling a lot
      • Jim and I would sleep on the floor on opposite sides of Fritz's bed; I remember the noise of the ceiling fan 
      • We'd stay up well past midnight, but as time went on Fritz seemed to want to go to bed earlier
      • Sometimes I'd get up first and head downstairs and play Civ 
      • Remember getting excited about hearing how the federal government had mandated fuel efficiency standards going up to something like 50 mpg in 10-15 years ... it would take a bit longer, but we're getting there
      • Fritz's brother Alex came home from military training and showed us what he called his "anti-rape glasses" (basically chunky black frames)
      • His family liked white chocolate
      • Sometimes we'd eat at the dinner table upstairs with his parents
      • The tank above the toilet overflowed at one point, and I was clueless about how to fix it
      • Broke my glasses one night playing basketball
      • The horse barn lights took a long time to illuminate enough so we could play -- it was cold
      • Played basketball on packed earth in the far corner of the horse barn
      • We'd walk over to Memorial Medical Center where Stephen Bechdolt worked as a pathologist and watch TV (Batman: The Animated Series), then Dr. Bechdolt would drive us around town
      • I remember Fritz and his dad talking about attending a family reunion in Germany, and remarking on my surname as well
      • Fritz's dad was thinking about buying an AK-47 before a gun ban went into effect (unsure if he did)
    • Jim's house:
      • At Jim's house we'd sometimes play Nerf basketball; I think Fritz brought over his PC, so we'd at least have two
      • Milk in clear plastic bag in a pitcher (remember because it had a distinct taste from what I was used to)
      • Surviving relative: Jeff
    • PC's:
      • Fritz had two PC's, I think: 
        • One dedicated to running a BBS
        • Two lines in his house
        • One had an Intel 80486 and the other an Intel 80386, I think
      • Turbo buttons, heh
The social aspects and gaming sparked my decision to go into Computer Science after high school. They were my people and closest friends in high school.

No comments:

Blog Archive