Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Xero Shoes Review, Part the Third

Untied and re-fixed the knot under my shoes (via). Really flamed the end of the strings, then pressed them as flat as I could. At first, I tried the idea of "shredding" the ends and pressing them flat. However, this ended up pulling through the hole. So, I reverted back to the figure eight.

After my previous try, I discovered the thick knot under my foot had formed a blister between my big toe and the adjacent toe. In response, I didn't go walking in them on Tuesday. Tonight, after retying and flattening the knot, my right foot felt much better--probably the "sweet spot" the founders speak of. My left foot, however, felt too tight. I stopped about halfway through my walk and loosened things a bit, but it still felt too tight.

At home, I retied everything again on the left foot. Better, but...not sure. I ran up and down the driveway a few times, until my right huaracha fell off. : o |

I'm thinking I need new laces, since I cut off too much cord on the right side. And I'm beginning to appreciate the tying style of the ultra-runner (Randy Kreill) who wears huarachas:


  • At the 0:38 second mark, he shows how he uses a slip knot, which seems like a good idea. He only uses it the inside hole.
  • He pulls the cord around the back of the sandal to mark off how much he needs. 
  • He also starts with his toes far forward, not pulling it too tight across the top of his foot.
  • Laces on top should be loose enough to get a finger up in there
Here's his new tying style:
  • Slip on/off much easier
  • Shoe goo (CVS) to extend string life...main knot, under sole knot
  • Punches dozens of holes into the soles ... something about being better over rocks? : o |
  • Forces you to pick up your foot every time you touch down...front will curl and give you immediate feedback to pick it up
  • Really just floating on your foot...don't feel any tension between your toes...like someone is rolling down a thin strip of rubber padding everywhere you run : o )
  • Nylon Paracord, 5/32

No comments:

Blog Archive