Sunday, March 25, 2012

Radio radio

The Tivoli Audio Songbook
My institutional work space denies staff from streaming internet radio. I want a radio I can walk up to in the morning, turn on, and begin privately listening to.

My idea for USB FM radio did not pan out--I do not want to install drivers on the PC on my desk at work. I had an idea for something like this (does not meet my need for aesthetics or functionality--and seems unavailable for purchase anyway).

Which seems to leave desk radios as an option.

One commenter leaves an excellent note--use a remote control. Brilliant. I can string a headphones cable from the radio to my work space and use the remote to tune it...then again, I probably will only listen to one station most of the time.

The Sangean WR-2
Tivoli produces the Model 10 clock radio which comes with a remote control.

Two outstanding non-remote control radios:

The Tivoli Songbook (pictured at the top of this post)...also, any of the Tivoli products.

The Kaito 1103 gets excellent reviews for FM reception:

The Kaito KA1103
So it really comes down to FM reception (connection to external antenna a plus), price, and aesthetics. Including the name of song, artist, and other information also represents a plus.

If I knew how to boost my FM reception via external antenna enough to pick up KDFC out of Angwin on 89.9 FM, it would represent the best possible scenario. As the crow flies, the signal travels approximately 98 miles from the transmitter at 38° 40' 09" N,  122° 37' 53" W and Sacramento, CA

No comments:

Blog Archive