Saturday, June 12, 2010

Running Journal, Saturday, 2010-06-12: Caterpillars' Windy Emergence

Running Journal, Saturday, 2010-06-12
Resting heart rate: 80 bpm (60 second test 70 minutes after exercise)
Body Mass Index (BMI): 23.258
Weather: sunny, bright, warm
Temp: 31 C (87.8 F)
Time: 10:00-12:58 p.m. (2:58:00)
Distance: 9.5 miles + 1.5-2.5 miles walking to and from car
Terrain: flat with mild hills; http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3803493
Comments: Felt so good to sleep in today we got to the Parkway starting point around 10:00 a.m. If it was not for the strong gusts of north-westerly wind, today would have been a very bad run. Instead, it turned out to be one of the best runs I have had. I brought my camera along today and pictures may be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/schultkl/sets/72157624260856210/with/4694550734/. Realized at the half-way point, munching down Panda Raspberry licorice, I enjoyed running away from Sacramento more than I do into it. Starting from mile 20, running east brings me past the Nimbus Fish Hatchery, the CSUS Aquatic Center, then into the first elevation gains as the trees turn from oak to pine. Carpets of pine needles smell great as I jog over them. Nimbus Lake is a brilliant deep blue in the bright sunshine. At the 25 mile marker on the south side of the Lake, I noticed the Regional Transit Gold Line train departing from the other side of Highway 50. I took the horse trails to stay close to the Lake, which was a good idea given the heat. The Lake cooled the wind and accelerated it as it blew up the side of the hill and past me. At the mile 22.5 marker, a man on a recumbent bike took his time pulling up to the drinking fountain. He angled his bike this way and that, finally getting in position. After several minutes of cooling himself off, he slowly angled this way and that to get back onto the bike path. He noticed me and we had a short conversation. He remarked, "If I do not get water on my head underneath my baseball cap, it is like running a car without a radiator." The Hazel Avenue Bridge is completely closed until Monday, June 14. This forced me to take the south trail around Nimbus Lake, which turned out to be fine. I took my camera with me and seemed to stop every few hundred yards to take a photo or video. Highlights: (1) video of a songbird just several feet away; (2) blackberries are ripening quickly and should be ready within weeks; and (3) the emergence of the Swallowtail caterpillars, the first I have seen this season. In a few weeks, the trails will be littered with those who failed to make it across, either by baking in the sun, smooshing, or other disasters. Those that do make their way to the Dutchman's Pipe vine to feast and eventually make their chrysalis. Today's run went very well. No pain to speak of. Hardly any bother at all. It took me 50% longer than I anticipated, but I feel 200% better than I normally do. So I like it. I lose the weight, build muscle, and feel great. Who cares if it takes longer? Well, to be honest, I will, when the mileage gets higher. Will have to see what to do.
Weight (70 minutes after exercise): 79.6 kg (175.5 lb)
Any irregular feelings, aches, pains, heart rate, and so forth?: None
Foods eaten today: Greek Gods pomegranate yogurt, banana, strawberry, pineapple, and banana smoothie from the Sunflower Drive-In, home-made LL Cool J Platinum smoothie, Panda raspberry licorice, Nuun-flavored water.

No comments:

Blog Archive