Sunday, May 23, 2010

Weekend Random Notes


The tallest bridge in California, Foresthill Bridge, near Auburn, CA, near the confluence of the North and South forks of the American River.

Summer is here! :o) School is out!

Today we visited the confluence of the North and South forks of the American River.

The confluence is a special place. We sat and read for over an hour after eating a picnic lunch. The Sierra Nevadas as a backdrop and rushing waters in the foreground. After hiking down to the riverbed and back, we discovered our keys locked in the car. Happily, a motorist offered us his jumper cables (!) which provided just enough extension for my hand to reach the door latch through the cracked window. :o) My forearm will be bruised for awhile, and from now on I will be carrying a key in my wallet. Afterward we walked around Auburn, stopping at Old Town Dessert Cafe.

Came home, made a gourmet meal: steamed beets and turnips plus greens; instant (ok, not that gourmet ;o) mashed potatoes with fresh chives and parsley from just outside our front door; stuffed bell peppers with a filling of mozzarella, one bulb of garlic (!), ketchup, stewed tomatoes, and fresh parsley; braised dino kale and chard. So full. x_x Millions of dishes to clean.

We were at REI on Friday evening looking at watches. The Timex Speed + Distance 5B501 I purchased in 2006 is pretty tired looking. The watch electronics work great but the resin case long ago lost its veneer. I also messed up one of the holes in the resin case while removing the watch band. :oX I am going to call Timex this week to see what they can do. One of the coolest things about this watch is (was) the GPS unit which provides the aforementioned speed/distance in real time. Unfortunately, a thief made off with mine in 2008 while I participated in a highway cleanup. >:( So I need a new one of those too. All in all, in seems like time for a new watch. I got the Timex Speed + Distance 5B501 combo for $75 new, and I doubt I can find that price again.

Heard on Click and Clack this morning a caller remarked about how they are wondering if they should go to a rebuilt engine for their 1993 Miata. They had three leaks (rear main seal, valve cover gasket, oil can gasket). Since our car currently has nearly 190,000 miles, that got me to thinking about rebuilding our engine. One quote comes in at $1,800.

Also looking for a purple bike for Dawn. The color is very important. ;o)

No comments:

Blog Archive