Monday, August 21, 2017

Gloria Steinem - My Life on the Road


Excellent book; some notes:
  • Hate generalizes, love specifies.
  • If you want people to listen to you, you have to listen to them. If you hope people will change how they live, you have to know how they live. If you want people to see you, you have to sit down with them eye-to-eye.
  • That's why, if I had to name the most important discovery of my life, it would be the portable community of talking circles; groups that gather with all five senses, and allow for consciousness to change.
  • "I learned from Flo Kennedy, who was a great civil rights lawyer and who was my speaking partner for a while. Nobody was better at a comeback. Some guy in some audience would say, “Are you lesbians?” and she would always say, “Are you my alternative?” and everyone would crack up. Again, it’s fun. And it’s consciousness-raising because you’re not just doing it for yourself and the other person, you’re also doing it for the people around you."
  • She never learned to drive--when asked, she replies, "Because adventure starts the moment I leave my door."

No comments:

Blog Archive