Thursday, December 31, 2015

Harry Potter Film Marathon

We watched the Harry Potter movies last weekend:
  1. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
  2. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
  3. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
  4. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
  5. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
  6. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
  7. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1
  8. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2
An enjoyable break. 

I thought #7, Deathly Hallows - Part 1, represented both the darkest and the most discordant note, in the franchise, like getting repeated visual gut punches over two hours (for example, wedding, the Lovegood betrayal, torture, drowning, no solace in his hometown). In particular, I remember them running from the Snatchers and thinking how minimalist and psychological the movie was, at that moment, with nothing to hear except forest footfalls, frantic breathing, and magic. So, fine film-making, but personally I think it represents a discordant note in the series, with respect to tone. Bleak, wintry, edgy, mature themes (fascism, torture, and so forth). I guess I am trying to say, I liked it, to my surprise, even though immediately I felt bored and impatient with the pacing.

No comments:

Blog Archive