Sunday, April 12, 2015

Floppy disk drive (USB) + GNU/Linux

Today I used a floppy diskette drive (USB) for the first time in years, to migrate some media I had in long-term storage.

NOTES

  • Noises of floppy drive brought a smile -- though I seem to recall if the floppy sounds that bad, it most likely will not last much longer (?)
  • Purchased the FDD for ~$15
  • For GNU/Linux, I ended up mounting the USB floppy as follows:
    • Connect the drive and USB
    • sudo blkid -c /dev/null
      • This will list your device (for me, it was /dev/sdb)
      • Alternatively: 
    • udisks --mount /dev/sdb
    • Nautilus then displayed the drive
    • To unmount, I used Nautilus
Not pretty, but we got there--now I can ditch this old media! Next weekend, I will tackle some old ZIP disks.


No comments:

Blog Archive