Sunday, May 04, 2008

Errata


Hats off to Philippe Deschamp (merci) of the French National Institute for Research in Computer Science and Control and Igor Krassikov (Дякую) for their work on errata submissions to the latest Dragon Book.

I found an error with the book (page 528) and at first I thought the errata failed to list it--but it turns out I failed to see the link to the original errata list, which contains quite a few errors--mostly errors involving missing semi-colons, braces, extra parenthesis, and so forth.

It turns out that editions printed after Spring 2008 no longer contain the bugs on the first errata sheet--one reason that purchasing a new book might make sense, as it took me some time to go through and annotate my copy.

UPDATE: "Claudio on comp.compilers writes "But I would wait for a reprint. The first print of the 2nd edition has way too many mistakes." Yes.

UPDATE: Dr. Ullman, a co-author of the book, granted me credit for reporting an optimization error in Figure 9.9, page 594. Another student identified the error during class--I identified the photocopied handout as the figure from the book, verified the error failed to exist on the errata, and followed-up with Dr. Ullman. In fairness to the identifier, I'm attempting to figure out their name(s) so they might receive due credit.

No comments:

Blog Archive