Friday, November 13, 2015

Prius High-Intensity Discharge Headlamp (HID) Bulb Replacement

Replaced both headlamp bulbs yesterday, on November 12, 2015.

NOTES

  • Driver's side seemed harder, for me, due to the fuse box, which limited space more than the passenger's side, I think
  • Driver's side clip's shape seemed distorted, a bit, so I had difficulty replacing it. I eventually did the best I could and tested it for snugness--it was snug, so replaced the cap and called it a day...note: did not have this problem on the passenger's side
  • Dealership "Toyota & Scion of Santa Cruz" quoted me $200+ to do the job, just for labor
  • Used new, disposable latex gloves while installing the bulb, and Mechanix gloves otherwise...protected my hands nicely from random scrapes and scratches, and gave better grip
  • Night before, I wiped the bulbs with rubbing alcohol (that is, 70% isopropyl alcohol); dried overnight
  • New headlamp bulbs glow, in a blueish white color
  • Aligning the bulb: hold it in place with one hand, then step back and look through the front of the headlamp...you will see the bulb poking through and get another indication of whether you have aligned it properly
  • The electrode, the part which looks like a metal bar and runs along one side of the bulb glass, should face down (?)
  • I think the knobs, on the bulb back should align horizontally (?)
  • Time elapsed: 45-60 minutes
  • Do it again? Yes

RESOURCES

No comments:

Blog Archive